Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cannot create executables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cannot create executables Post 33896 by stufine on Thursday 23rd of January 2003 10:54:52 AM
Old 01-23-2003
cannot create executables

I am trying to install PROFTPD-1.2.7 on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 Server with a gcc-2.95.2 installed the VOLS files from http://www.caldera.com/skunkware.

The problem I am having is when I try to run ./configure in the proftpd directory I get this error:
# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking host system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking target system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables.

So I then searched here for the message here seeing if anyone has had this problem before and posted it. This is the best one I found but I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do.

https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s...te+executables

I then went to http://gcc.gnu.org/ to download the source for gcc.
I could not find anything that said anything about it being the source code. So I downloaded gcc-3.2.1.tar.gz and I could not install the program because my gcc compiler does not work.
When I go to configure the new gcc I get this:

# ./configure
Configuring for a i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
(Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /usr/scott/gcc-3.2.1 using "mh-frag"
cc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
*** The command '/usr/bin/cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

What else can I try to fix this?
What is going wrong with my Gcc compiler?
When I type in gcc I get this
# gcc
gcc: No input files
So it seems to be installed and working sort of.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by stufine; 01-23-2003 at 12:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

executables ending with *

Hi All, I m very new to unix. I have a basic doubt .. In unix I m seeing that there is a * at the end of by executable name (exe1*).. Wht is the significance of that Thanks a lot in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding shell scripts to executables

Hi, I have written a shell script for automating some of our repetitive activities. I want all my colleagues to use my script and do the activities automatically by just running the script. But I do not want them to see the code. Is there a way we can generate something like an executable... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
16 Replies

3. HP-UX

gcc error..compiler cannot create executables

Hi I have locally compiled and installed gcc-4.1.2 in directory /usr/local/pkg/gcc/4.1.2/bin/gcc I want to compile beecrypt using this new compiler , So i have done setenv CC usr/local/pkg/gcc/4.1.2/bin/gcc ( Note this configuration is running properly with older version of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

4. Programming

Compare two executables

Hi - I have two complex (for me at least) make files. The older one creates a succesful executable. The later one uses if statements to conditionally make different versions of the executable. The 2nd produces an executable that fails. I have "eyeballed" the differences in the Make files and run... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrighterLater
18 Replies

5. Solaris

C compiler cannot create executables

Hi, I'm trying to compile Apache2.2 (I know it is available as a package) on a fresh install of Solaris Express 11. I've installed gcc-3 and gnu-bintutils via pkg. The config.log is attached (as config.txt). I don't see what I'm missing. Thanks, Doug (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Doug_M
1 Replies

6. Linux

Fortran Compiler cannot create executables

Hello everyone, I am trying to re-install quantum espresso-4.3 on the University's LINUX interface (because of a recent crash and I lost most of my files). when I " ./configure ", It is giving an error stating that : checking building system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physicslad78
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for executables

Hello Unix users, this is my first post here. :) I want to search a directory (and subdirectories) for executable files (files with rwx------ permission) and move them to a different folder. What Unix commands can accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagan_Radiation
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile with multiple executables

CROSS_COMPILE?= LIBDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/lib INCDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/include BINDIR?=../../bin CFLAGS+= -Wall -I$(INCDIR_APP_LOADER) -D__DEBUG -O2 -mtune=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -std=gnu99 LDFLAGS+=-L$(LIBDIR_APP_LOADER) -lprussdrv -lpthread OBJDIR=obj... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting with executables

Hi everyone, I am working with an executable (let's say work) in bash shell. When I run this work executable it asks the following information; 1- choose task a or b 2- input file 3- output file 4- some operational choices after it reads the given input file, does some algebraic... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
17 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Gcc cannot create executables

https://www.unix.com/302461112-post1.html Thank you. It's still in Linux Mint 17 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies
binfmtc(1)							     binfmt_C								binfmtc(1)

NAME
binfmtc-interpreter - binfmt_misc C handler SYNOPSIS
binfmtc-interpreter C-source-file-name [command-line opions ...] DESCRIPTION
binfmtc-interpreter compiles a C source file specified on the command-line using C compiler, and executes the resulting file. It is designed to be used as a handler for binfmt_misc handler, which is a system used in Linux for handling arbitrary files as executa- bles. The command-line options are passed on to the compiled binary. FILE MAGIC
There is a requirement for C source files to have the magic characters /*BINFMTC: at the beginning of the file. That line also is used to specify the additional command-line options for C compiler. ENVIRONMENT
GCC The compiler used. The default is to use gcc CC The compiler used, if GCC variable is not set. BINFMTCTMPDIR Temporary directory used for binary and execution. Falls back to $TMPDIR $TEMPDIR or /tmp BINFMTC_DEBUG enables debug output if set. BINFMTC_GCC_OPTS Additional GCC options. Use BINFMTC_DEBUG to verify the options being passed on to gcc. The default is -O2 -Wall -g AUTHOR
Junichi Uekawa (dancer@debian.org) Upstream page is available at http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/ SEE ALSO
binfmtasm-interpreter(1), binfmtcxx-interpreter(1), binfmtf-interpreter(1), binfmtf95-interpreter(1), binfmtgcj-interpreter(1) binfmt_misc Dancer 2009 Feb 8 binfmtc(1)