Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cannot create executables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cannot create executables Post 33896 by stufine on Thursday 23rd of January 2003 10:54:52 AM
Old 01-23-2003
cannot create executables

I am trying to install PROFTPD-1.2.7 on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 Server with a gcc-2.95.2 installed the VOLS files from http://www.caldera.com/skunkware.

The problem I am having is when I try to run ./configure in the proftpd directory I get this error:
# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking host system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking target system type... i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables.

So I then searched here for the message here seeing if anyone has had this problem before and posted it. This is the best one I found but I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do.

https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s...te+executables

I then went to http://gcc.gnu.org/ to download the source for gcc.
I could not find anything that said anything about it being the source code. So I downloaded gcc-3.2.1.tar.gz and I could not install the program because my gcc compiler does not work.
When I go to configure the new gcc I get this:

# ./configure
Configuring for a i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.6 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
(Any other directories should still work fine.)
Created "Makefile" in /usr/scott/gcc-3.2.1 using "mh-frag"
cc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
*** The command '/usr/bin/cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

What else can I try to fix this?
What is going wrong with my Gcc compiler?
When I type in gcc I get this
# gcc
gcc: No input files
So it seems to be installed and working sort of.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by stufine; 01-23-2003 at 12:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

executables ending with *

Hi All, I m very new to unix. I have a basic doubt .. In unix I m seeing that there is a * at the end of by executable name (exe1*).. Wht is the significance of that Thanks a lot in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding shell scripts to executables

Hi, I have written a shell script for automating some of our repetitive activities. I want all my colleagues to use my script and do the activities automatically by just running the script. But I do not want them to see the code. Is there a way we can generate something like an executable... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
16 Replies

3. HP-UX

gcc error..compiler cannot create executables

Hi I have locally compiled and installed gcc-4.1.2 in directory /usr/local/pkg/gcc/4.1.2/bin/gcc I want to compile beecrypt using this new compiler , So i have done setenv CC usr/local/pkg/gcc/4.1.2/bin/gcc ( Note this configuration is running properly with older version of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

4. Programming

Compare two executables

Hi - I have two complex (for me at least) make files. The older one creates a succesful executable. The later one uses if statements to conditionally make different versions of the executable. The 2nd produces an executable that fails. I have "eyeballed" the differences in the Make files and run... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrighterLater
18 Replies

5. Solaris

C compiler cannot create executables

Hi, I'm trying to compile Apache2.2 (I know it is available as a package) on a fresh install of Solaris Express 11. I've installed gcc-3 and gnu-bintutils via pkg. The config.log is attached (as config.txt). I don't see what I'm missing. Thanks, Doug (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Doug_M
1 Replies

6. Linux

Fortran Compiler cannot create executables

Hello everyone, I am trying to re-install quantum espresso-4.3 on the University's LINUX interface (because of a recent crash and I lost most of my files). when I " ./configure ", It is giving an error stating that : checking building system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physicslad78
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for executables

Hello Unix users, this is my first post here. :) I want to search a directory (and subdirectories) for executable files (files with rwx------ permission) and move them to a different folder. What Unix commands can accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagan_Radiation
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile with multiple executables

CROSS_COMPILE?= LIBDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/lib INCDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/include BINDIR?=../../bin CFLAGS+= -Wall -I$(INCDIR_APP_LOADER) -D__DEBUG -O2 -mtune=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -std=gnu99 LDFLAGS+=-L$(LIBDIR_APP_LOADER) -lprussdrv -lpthread OBJDIR=obj... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting with executables

Hi everyone, I am working with an executable (let's say work) in bash shell. When I run this work executable it asks the following information; 1- choose task a or b 2- input file 3- output file 4- some operational choices after it reads the given input file, does some algebraic... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
17 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Gcc cannot create executables

https://www.unix.com/302461112-post1.html Thank you. It's still in Linux Mint 17 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)