Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX for Dummies Test
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX for Dummies Test Post 33836 by auswipe on Tuesday 21st of January 2003 02:06:09 PM
Old 01-21-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo

ps can show user id of processes, so if a user is connected, you will see their user id (and what shell and processes they are running).
That'll teach me to take the "most" appropriate answer. I thought about selecting "all" but alas, I did not.

I dunno, gimme another beer.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix for Dummies FAQ

I have created a small FAQ for the "Unix for Dummies" forum. Hopefully this will be useful, as there are questions which are asked (and answered) repeatedly. <A HREF="http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html">http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripts for dummies

í have no idea how to write a script. can someone help? how would i write a script that will do the following commands mkdir temp cp * temp cd temp ls i want to be able to do a set of commands by typing in only one command. i´m a windows user that is trying to learn unix, finally :P so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeldivady
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl for Dummies

Hi all. iam new to this and i want to learn perl Any good website out there ?? anything will do thanks :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Test

Hi, I just started studying AI at the university of amsterdam and I heard there is some basic UNIX test which is available online. Well, if any of you knows a link to that test I would truely appreciate it. Thanks a lot, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: L.A. BOSS
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris for dummies

Is there one command that will display all system information on a Solaris host running Solaris 8? System information such as model, memory, CPU, disk space etc. etc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mita
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dummies question

Please help to answer some highlighted question below. 1. How to create more than 1 partition in a single hard disk? 2. How to format the created partition to be viewable like in windows C: or D: ? 3. How to use pen drive in unix environment? 4. How to find a file starting with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyysk
8 Replies
RENICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RENICE(8)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice priority [ [ -p ] pid ... ] [ [ -g ] pgrp ... ] [ [ -u ] user ... ] DESCRIPTION
Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The who parameters are interpreted as process ID's, process group ID's, or user names. Renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. Renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. By default, the processes to be affected are specified by their process ID's. To force who parameters to be interpreted as process group ID's, a -g may be specified. To force the who parameters to be interpreted as user names, a -u may be given. Supplying -p will reset who interpretation to be (the default) process ID's. For example, renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 would change the priority of process ID's 987 and 32, and all processes owned by users daemon and root. Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value'' within the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20). (This prevents overriding administrative fiats.) The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX. Useful priorities are: 20 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user ID's SEE ALSO
getpriority(2), setpriority(2) BUGS
Non super-users can not increase scheduling priorities of their own processes, even if they were the ones that decreased the priorities in the first place. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 RENICE(8)