Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX for Dummies Test
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX for Dummies Test Post 33827 by Neo on Tuesday 21st of January 2003 09:39:19 AM
Old 01-21-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cbkihong

Why can ps show whether a user is connected?
ps can show user id of processes, so if a user is connected, you will see their user id (and what shell and processes they are running).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix for Dummies FAQ

I have created a small FAQ for the "Unix for Dummies" forum. Hopefully this will be useful, as there are questions which are asked (and answered) repeatedly. <A HREF="http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html">http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripts for dummies

í have no idea how to write a script. can someone help? how would i write a script that will do the following commands mkdir temp cp * temp cd temp ls i want to be able to do a set of commands by typing in only one command. i´m a windows user that is trying to learn unix, finally :P so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeldivady
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl for Dummies

Hi all. iam new to this and i want to learn perl Any good website out there ?? anything will do thanks :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Test

Hi, I just started studying AI at the university of amsterdam and I heard there is some basic UNIX test which is available online. Well, if any of you knows a link to that test I would truely appreciate it. Thanks a lot, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: L.A. BOSS
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris for dummies

Is there one command that will display all system information on a Solaris host running Solaris 8? System information such as model, memory, CPU, disk space etc. etc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mita
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dummies question

Please help to answer some highlighted question below. 1. How to create more than 1 partition in a single hard disk? 2. How to format the created partition to be viewable like in windows C: or D: ? 3. How to use pen drive in unix environment? 4. How to find a file starting with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyysk
8 Replies
SOCKSTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       SOCKSTAT(1)

NAME
sockstat -- list open sockets SYNOPSIS
sockstat [-clh] [-p ports] [-P pid|process] [-U uid|user] [-G gid|group] DESCRIPTION
The sockstat command lists open Internet or UNIX domain sockets. The following options are available: -c Show connected sockets. -l Show listening sockets. -h Show a usage summary. -p ports Only show Internet sockets if either the local or foreign port number is on the specified list. The ports argument is a comma- separated list of port numbers and ranges specified as first and last port separated by a dash. -P pid|process Only show sockets of the specified pid|process. The pid|process argument is a process name or pid. -U uid|user Only show sockets of the specified uid|user. The uid|user argument is a username or uid. -G gid|group Only show sockets of the specified gid|group. The gid|group argument is a groupname or gid. If neither -c or -l is specified, sockstat will list both listening and connected sockets. The information listed for each socket is: USER The user who owns the socket. COMMAND The command which holds the socket. PID The process ID of the command which holds the socket. FD The file descriptor number of the socket. PROTO The transport protocol associated with the socket for Internet sockets, or the type of socket (stream or datagram) for UNIX sockets. LOCAL ADDRESS For Internet sockets, this is the address the local end of the socket is bound to (see getsockname(2)). For bound UNIX sockets, it is the socket's filename. For other UNIX sockets, it is a right arrow followed by the endpoint's filename, or ``??'' if the endpoint could not be determined. FOREIGN ADDRESS (Internet sockets only) The address the foreign end of the socket is bound to (see getpeername(2)). SEE ALSO
netstat(1), protocols(5) HISTORY
The sockstat command appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The sockstat command and this manual page were written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>. The sockstat command was ported to Linux by William Pitcock <nenolod@nenolod.net>. BSD
May 18, 2008 BSD