Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Writing c code for who | sort | lp Post 33797 by S.P.Prasad on Monday 20th of January 2003 03:39:43 AM
Old 01-20-2003
To implement "who|sort|lp" command feature using a C code you might have to work with Standard C Library Functions like :
getutent ( ) / getutline ( ) , setutent ( ) , endutent ( ) , qsort ( ) and some basics of terminal I/O.
See man pages for more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional writing of sql code

Hello again... I have a request from another department to list for them all the columns and tables we use in this certain database. I have spooled the oracle stored procedured into 1 file. I need a way to write out parts of that file. The criteria is to to start the block to be written when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing code!!!

suppose by writing this code "$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0| grep 'inet addr:' " i've got this output "inet addr:192.168.2.1 Mask:255.255.255.0" now if i want to see the output like this "IP address: 192.168.2.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0" what is the code should be? can anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelly
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in writing the code

hi i am studying unix with c language ,and completely new to this .I have question about how to pass the control from one program file to another.My first program has the main process and it should go into the second program where i can create six processes with also the usage of pipes to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumya_v7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script or piece of code where the data returned by a stored procedure you are writing

hi fndz. Can you please help me with the code if I call a stored procedure from my shell script and stored procedure returns a cursor, cursor output should be saved to a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_83
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Writing Code

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script that will perform the grep command on a user defined file and a user defined pattern 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: must use grep command (that is the only piece of information that was given) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akjim101
2 Replies

6. Programming

Vi question for writing source code

Hi guys, I'm modifying an old f77 code using vi. I'm modifying the code remotely from my windows machine using xming using vi. I'm using tabs to move past the first 6 columns of the code and to keep my loops and if statements neat, but when I hit the tab key, vi displays a big red block which is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rks171
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed remove two headers; writing more elegant code

Hi there, I have two questions. First, I was wondering how to use sed to remove two header lines or two tail lines. Here I just do the same operation twice...I'm sure there is a better way. Second, and more importantly, is there a better way to have these operations use files other than... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort error code 512

Hi Friends, I am back with small issue which i tried thinking but could not get much!!!! issue here is..i m using kind of extraction query using perl code in that i do sort with few number of csv files. each of them will be around 50 to 100 M size. sometime i get following error message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shahul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a UNIX script from LOG to provide return code.

Folks - Firstly, I do apologize that my first post here is a question. I am quite familiar with UNIX since our application is running on it. We are trying to automate a few things on our end and I am challenged with a task in hand that requires UNIX scripting. I am totally a newbie in UNIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk72
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help writing code

Hi, i need a string that take from a log file just two words (ngwan0) and his related ip address and then execute 2 commands in a shell. Any ideas where to start? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
3 Replies
GETUTENT(3)							 Library functions						       GETUTENT(3)

NAME
getutent, getutid, getutline, pututline, setutent, endutent, utmpname - access utmp file entries SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> struct utmp *getutent(void); struct utmp *getutid(struct utmp *ut); struct utmp *getutline(struct utmp *ut); struct utmp *pututline(struct utmp *ut); void setutent(void); void endutent(void); void utmpname(const char *file); DESCRIPTION
utmpname() sets the name of the utmp-format file for the other utmp functions to access. If utmpname() is not used to set the filename before the other functions are used, they assume _PATH_UTMP, as defined in <paths.h>. setutent() rewinds the file pointer to the beginning of the utmp file. It is generally a Good Idea to call it before any of the other functions. endutent() closes the utmp file. It should be called when the user code is done accessing the file with the other functions. getutent() reads a line from the current file position in the utmp file. It returns a pointer to a structure containing the fields of the line. getutid() searches forward from the current file position in the utmp file based upon ut. If ut->ut_type is RUN_LVL, BOOT_TIME, NEW_TIME, or OLD_TIME, getutid() will find the first entry whose ut_type field matches ut->ut_type. If ut->ut_type is one of INIT_PROCESS, LOGIN_PROCESS, USER_PROCESS, or DEAD_PROCESS, getutid() will find the first entry whose ut_id field matches ut->ut_id. getutline() searches forward from the current file position in the utmp file. It scans entries whose ut_type is USER_PROCESS or LOGIN_PROCESS and returns the first one whose ut_line field matches ut->ut_line. pututline() writes the utmp structure ut into the utmp file. It uses getutid() to search for the proper place in the file to insert the new entry. If it cannot find an appropriate slot for ut, pututline() will append the new entry to the end of the file. RETURN VALUE
getutent(), getutid(), getutline() and pututline() return a pointer to a static struct utmp on success, and NULL on failure. EXAMPLE
The following example adds and removes a utmp record, assuming it is run from within a pseudo terminal. For usage in a real application, you should check the return values of getpwuid() and ttyname(). #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <pwd.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <utmp.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { struct utmp entry; system("echo before adding entry:;who"); entry.ut_type=USER_PROCESS; entry.ut_pid=getpid(); strcpy(entry.ut_line,ttyname(0)+strlen("/dev/")); /* only correct for ptys named /dev/tty[pqr][0-9a-z] */ strcpy(entry.ut_id,ttyname(0)+strlen("/dev/tty")); time(&entry.ut_time); strcpy(entry.ut_user,getpwuid(getuid())->pw_name); memset(entry.ut_host,0,UT_HOSTSIZE); entry.ut_addr=0; setutent(); pututline(&entry); system("echo after adding entry:;who"); entry.ut_type=DEAD_PROCESS; memset(entry.ut_line,0,UT_LINESIZE); entry.ut_time=0; memset(entry.ut_user,0,UT_NAMESIZE); setutent(); pututline(&entry); system("echo after removing entry:;who"); endutent(); return 0; } FILES
/var/run/utmp database of currently logged-in users /var/log/wtmp database of past user logins CONFORMING TO
XPG 2, SVID 2, Linux FSSTND 1.2 In XPG2 and SVID2 the function pututline() is documented to return void, and that is what it does on many systems (AIX, HPUX, Linux libc5). HPUX introduces a new function _pututline() with the prototype given above for pututline() (also found in Linux libc5). All these functions are obsolete now on non-Linux systems. POSIX 1003.1-2001, following XPG4.2, does not have any of these functions, but instead uses #include <utmpx.h> struct utmpx *getutxent(void); struct utmpx *getutxid(const struct utmpx *); struct utmpx *getutxline(const struct utmpx *); struct utmpx *pututxline(const struct utmpx *); void setutxent(void); void endutxent(void); The utmpx structure is a superset of the utmp structure, with additional fields, and larger versions of the existing fields. The corre- sponding files are often /var/*/utmpx and /var/*/wtmpx. Linux glibc on the other hand does not use utmpx since its utmp structure is already large enough. The functions getutxent etc. are aliases for getutent etc. SEE ALSO
utmp(5) 1996-07-25 GETUTENT(3)