Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers questions on gentoo iso installation Post 33790 by frznmeatcicle on Sunday 19th of January 2003 07:55:33 PM
Old 01-19-2003
Data questions on gentoo iso installation

I'm a brand new Intro to Unix to student, and what I'm trying to do is install Gentoo Linux onto a Dell Latitude (currently w/ out any OS). I've already burned the iso to cd and am wondering... All the reading I'm doing is talking about partioning, since this dell won't be having a pre-existing OS, partioning will not be needed. So... Do i just drop the cd in, start up the laptop and install it? or does the iso need an pre-existing os?

I know this all sounds lreally lame, but like I said, I'm an intro student and looking for something to just use to learn off of.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installation Questions

I've just downloaded BigSlack32 its a version of Linux from slackware (as you may know), however I can't find any setup program if there is one (be gentle with me I have had the burden like many others of growing up with Bill Gates propaganda). I also have other questions here are a run down: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSNovice
3 Replies

2. Linux Benchmarks

AMD 1.2 Gentoo 1.4.3.8p1

Notes: CPU/Speed: 1195.993 Ram: 503 Megabytes Motherboard: biostart m7vkb Bus: Cache:256 KB Controller:VT82C586A Disk:Maxtor 93073U6 Load: Kernel:2.4.20-xfs-r3 Kernel ELF?: yes pgms: Results: BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux box 2.4.20-xfs-r3 #1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnorth
1 Replies

3. Gentoo

Gentoo problem, X is not working

I got Gentoo installed with only a few minor problems, but those are the worse right? :p Anyway, I can boot into a terminal and could could fine into TWM (yuck). So I emerged XFCE4 by doing this: use="-gnome -kde" emerge xfce I then inserted this into ~./xinitrc : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EDUD LIVE
3 Replies

4. Solaris

installation of Solaris: installation bypasses network config.

hello solaris friends, I've tried installing Sun Solaris 10.0, but everytime it seems to bypass the network config. screen that looks similar to this...here's the url: http://www.hup.hu/old/images/hup/Solaris/Sol10beta7/9.png I'm able to install it all the way through but I get no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cadmiumgreen
2 Replies

5. Gentoo

Gentoo and Qmail

Hello all, I want to create a qmail to just forward messages to a valid smtp over the internet, so I can use mutt to send messages as well as recieving them. Is there an easy way of doing this? My SMTP server requires authentication. Thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to make boot.iso image from rhel6 installation dvd iso ?

Hello Everyone, Can anyone let me know how to make minimal boot.iso from rhl6 installation dvd iso image. I have a dvd image with me but i want to make just a minimal boot media. Somehow it is not shipped with dvd iso. I know we can download boot.iso from redhat site but is there any anyway we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
5 Replies
Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution::Packages - list all packages on various Linux distributions SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution::Packages qw(distribution_packages distribution_write); $linux = new Linux::Distribution::Packages({'format' => 'csv', 'output_file' => 'packages.csv'}); $linux->distribution_write(); # Or you can (re)set the options when you write. $linux->distribution_write({'format' => 'xml', 'output_file' => 'packages.xml'}); # If you want to reload the package data $linux->distribution_packages(); DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that uses Linux::Distribution to guess the linux distribution and then uses the correct commands to list all the packages on the system and then output them in one of three formats: native, csv, and xml. Distributions currently working: debian, ubuntu, fedora, redhat, suse, gentoo, slackware, redflag. The module inherits from Linux::Distribution, so can also use its calls. EXPORT None by default. TODO
* Add the capability to correctly get packages for all recognized distributions. * Seperate out parsing from writing. Parse data to hash and give access to hash. Then write the formatted data from the hash. AUTHORS
Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.10.1 2006-04-19 Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)