Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Got connected with Modem but cannot dial Telephone no. to connect to host Post 33455 by RTM on Monday 6th of January 2003 02:12:54 PM
Old 01-06-2003
I used the same commands you posted and got the same results.

Nothing after connecting via tip.

Of course, I don't have a modem on my system - that's where you are having a problem. The system does not really 'see' your modem. Check the cable connecting it and make sure it's plugged in and works correctly. Also make sure your TERM is set correctly (vt100 works for almost everything!).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

2. Linux

get innet access by dualup to linux box connected to dsl through phone line modem

Hi! I'm looking for a sollution on this task: is there any way to make linux as some sort of personal ISP, with would let me/somebody else get internet access by dialing up to linux box through phoneline? to use it as sort of a proxy or something simular? I could manage it on windows 2000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: V@no
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dial-Up Modem

Im using Kinternet with a Lucent modem on Suse 9.0 Ive installed the ltmodem driver and suse says the device is ready and configured. Ive configured it at /dev/ttyS0 This is the log that Kinternet gives after trying to connect: SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.06 on linux. Status... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Remote Dial-up Modem Printing With Out Cpu On The Remote Side!

I am looking for a dial-up remote printing solution as under : 1. We have a Centralized location where Sun Solaris (A) is installed. From here printing command will be despatched. 2. This printing command will be routed to WAN cloud to Main Branches (B1,B2,B3)and from there, printer at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayvee
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freeing up a serial port with a modem connected

I currently access a remote Unix server which has an external modem connected to one of it's serial ports (/dev/cua/b). At times, this server undergoes a hard reset and for some reason this disallows us from making use of the modem any longer. A hard reset of the modem always seems to fix the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebender1
0 Replies

6. Solaris

help me!!!! how configure modem dial up with smc in solaris 10

Dear All, i have problem during install modem dial up with smc in solaris 10. i can't find "login" because it's stop in _receive started transmit started. thanks for your attention. this is the list during i dial to this number : altconn called Device Type ACU wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.ridho
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem (dial up) connecton to Unix machine

Hello to all, I have one problem and hope you'll be able to help me. It's about connecting Windows PC machine to Unix machine via dial up through Hyper terminal. Connection was working in the past. In the meantime, windows machine is replaced (win XP) and unix machine stayed as is. So nothing is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Carrier Detection in Solaris 8 for Dial in and Null Modem Connections

I am having troubles with carrier detection for dialing in via a modem or direct connection via a null modem connection under Solaris 8 (i.e. login session remains active after the modem disconnects). I tried two different dumb modems (which do not respond to AT commands) on the machine that I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to target host from Source host.

Hi All, Need to connect to target host and execute a command and connect back to source host to continue with next set of command execution. Is there a utility/command using which we can connect to target host ? Please suggest. Note: Netezza database is instaled on Linux server. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies
TERM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TERM(1)

NAME
term - turn PC into a dumb terminal [IBM] SYNOPSIS
term [baudrate] [parity] [bits_per_character] [-dial_string] [device] EXAMPLES
term 2400 # Talk to modem at 2400 baud term 1200 7 even # 1200 baud, 7 bits/char, even parity term 8 9600 /dev/tty01 # 9600 baud, 8 bits/char, no parity, use tty01 term -atdt12345 /dev/tty01 # Start with a command to dial out DESCRIPTION
Term allows MINIX to talk to a terminal or modem over RS232 port 1. The program first sets the baudrate, parity and character length, and then forks. The parent sits in a loop copying from stdin (usually the console's keyboard), to the terminal or modem (/dev/tty00). The child sits in a loop copying from the terminal or modem (/dev/tty00) to standard output. Thus when RS232 port 1 is connected to a modem, every keystroke typed on the keyboard is sent to the modem, and every character arriving from the modem is displayed. Standard input and output may be redirected, to provide a primitive file transfer program, with no checking. Any argument that starts with a minus ('-') is sent out to the modem, usually to dial out. Term accepts several commands that are formed by typing the escape character, CTRL-], and a letter. Type CTRL-]? to see a list of commands. The subshell command is very important, it allows you to type in a ZMODEM command to transfer data. Do not quit term to do this, or your modem line will be reset! Term keeps the modem line open on file descriptor 9 while running the subshell, so you can type <&9 >&9 at the end of your ZMODEM command to connect it to the modem. Important note: to use term, it is essential that /etc/ttytab is configured so that there is no shell hanging on /dev/tty01. If there is, both the shell and term will try to read from /dev/tty01, and nothing will work. SEE ALSO
rz(1), sz(1). TERM(1)