Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NIS Problem Post 33435 by joerg on Monday 6th of January 2003 07:37:39 AM
Old 01-06-2003
Data NIS Problem

Hi all,
I use a sparc 1000 Enterprice server with solaris 5.8 as nis server.
IŽam able to login as root user on the server and switch after
that to any other user (If I am switch as root user) . So far so good.
But if i try a

rlogin server -l user_name
or
su - user (if I am no root user)

and enter the right password I get always the erro message:

Login incorrect
or
su: Sorry

I verify the password and change it to standard one but nothing happens. Using another user .. no result.

This happens after we transport the server to a other location.
In my opinion all relevant prozesses are running.

thanks for every info or hint.
joerg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS problem with netgroup

Hi@all, I'd setup a nis server and 4 slaves. Update of passwd work's fine, but if i create a netgroup file the make all process hang by push the netgroup file. I work with AIX 4.3.3.0 and Maintance Level 5. Tank's for help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michael
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS config problem

Hi Experts, For configuring NIS server/clients which i've done several times already, i faced some problem which i have not seen before. The problem is that after configuring NIS server & the clients, for instance when i run "ypcat hosts " it gives this message: "No such map in domain services"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
5 Replies

3. Solaris

NIS Problem

I have a Solaris 9 system running on a sparc platform which is configured for NIS. The domain is set to unixlab.ocas.uc.edu on this system and the yp processes are running. The client machinces successfully binds using the ypinit -c command and specifying the servers name. I also copied the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
2 Replies

4. Solaris

problem in changing the NIS passwd

Now I face a problem in changing the NIS passwd,I have no idea,want you to help me! Today I add some user in the NIS master server ,I "vi" /etc/passwd &/etc/shadow,add user account and password by hand(shadow----no password ,only eight ":"). when finsh,I login ,system told me to input a password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlsjm
3 Replies

5. Solaris

NIS Problem

I'm having an issue with NIS. I run the following: ./nisclient -i -d XXX.XXXX.XXX -h XXXX-XXXX Everytime I do this with both my master and slave servers up and running and I go to reboot my client the client will hang after starting RPCBIND, and NIS Cachemanager. If I take my slave NIS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

6. Solaris

annoying problem with nis

This is my home set up I have 2 solaris boxes at home. One is a nis server and one is client. everytime I start the client without server, it will hang permanently looking for for nis server. is there a way to get around this? Can you set timeout the nis client? I use nis becuase my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: congngo
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem with NIS client

Hi All, In my network infra, there is a NIS master server and many more NIS slave servers. Now, I want every client to set with master server and one possible slave server so that if master goes down, client could still get info from slave server. The servers will be listed on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
0 Replies

8. AIX

NIS problem in aix

Hi, We are facing a problem with nis . we have a master server and there are 5 -6 slave servers configured with NIS. All the servers are IBM aix with different O/s versions installed Ex.5.2, 5.3 and 6.1 The master nis server is a 5.2 aix server system and all others are installed with nis... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkalluri
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

NIS problem

Hello Everyone! When my NIS clients sync to the master server they have a problem with only the group maps. Upon executing "ypcat group" on the client, just one entry displayed for groups. That entry corresponds to the local group account (/etc/group) on the master. This particular group... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Audio Problem-NIS users

Hai all, I'm rameez rahman working as a Technical assistant. I configured NIS Server in RHEL 6.5 with 40 client PC's.All the clients are using the same os ie RHEL 6.5 64 bit.All the features are working fine except sound ie from client machine if a NIS user logged in he cant access sound.But if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameez rahman k
2 Replies
nisserver(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisserver(1M)

NAME
nisserver - set up NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -g NIS+_groupname] [-l network_passwd] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] -d NIS+_domain [ -g NIS+_groupname] [ -h NIS+_server_host] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -h NIS+_server_host] DESCRIPTION
The nisserver shell script can be used to set up a root master, non-root master, and replica NIS+ server with level 2 security (DES). If other authentication mechanisms are configured with nisauthconf(1M), nisserver will set up a NIS+ server using those mechanisms. nisauth- conf(1M) should be used before nisserver. When setting up a new domain, this script creates the NIS+ directories (including groups_dir and org_dir) and system table objects for the domain specified. It does not populate the tables. nispopulate(1M) must be used to populate the tables. OPTIONS
-d NIS+_domain Specifies the name for the NIS+ domain. The default is your local domain. -f Forces the NIS+ server setup without prompting for confirmation. -g NIS+_groupname Specifies the NIS+ group name for the new domain. This option is not valid with -R option. The default group is admin.<domain>. -h NIS+_server_host Specifies the hostname for the NIS+ server. It must be a valid host in the local domain. Use a fully qualified hostname (for example, hostx.xyz.sun.com.) to specify a host outside of your local domain. This option is only used for setting up non-root master or replica servers. The default for non-root master server setup is to use the same list of servers as the parent domain. The default for replica server setup is the local hostname. -l network_password Specifies the network password with which to create the credentials for the root master server. This option is only used for master root server setup (-r option). If this option is not specified, the script prompts you for the login password. -M Sets up the specified host as a master server. Make sure that rpc.nisd(1M) is running on the new master server before this command is executed. -R Sets up the specified host as a replica server. Make sure that rpc.nisd is running on the new replica server. -r Sets up the server as a root master server. Use the -R option to set up a root replica server. -v Runs the script in verbose mode. -x Turns the echo mode on. The script just prints the commands that it would have executed. Note that the commands are not actually executed. The default is off. -Y Sets up a NIS+ server with NIS-compatibility mode. The default is to set up the server without NIS-compatibility mode. USAGE
Use the first synopsis of the command (-r) to set up a root master server. To run the command, you must be logged in as super-user on the server machine. Use the second synopsis of the command (-M) to set up a non-root master server for the specified domain. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are setting up. The new non-root master server machine must already be an NIS+ client (see nisclient(1M)) and have the rpc.nisd(1M) daemon running. Use the third synopsis of the command (-R) to set up a replica server for both root and non-root domains. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are replicating. The new non-root replica server machine must already be an NIS+ client and have the rpc.nisd daemon running. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting up Servers To set up a root master server for domain sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d sun.com. For the following examples make sure that the new servers are NIS+ clients and that rpc.nisd is running on these hosts before executing nisserver. To set up a replica server for the sun.com. domain on host sunreplica: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d sun.com. -h sunrep To set up a non-root master server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunxyz with the NIS+ groupname as admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunxyz -g admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com. To set up a non-root replica server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunabc: sunxyz# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunabc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismkdir(1), nisaddcred(1M), nisauthconf(1M), nisclient(1M), nisinit(1M), nispopulate(1M), nisprefadm(1M), nis- setup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 13 Dec 2001 nisserver(1M)