Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sendmail configuration problems Post 33298 by Jody on Thursday 26th of December 2002 09:42:19 AM
Old 12-26-2002
After changing the directory permissions to 755, then to 640, and finally, uninstalling and reinstalling Sendmail-8.11.6-15 and trying to start sendmail with permissions at 644, I am still coming up with the same message. However, this time, in addition to writing down the error message, I have also wrote down the error #, which is 451 4.0.0. The whole message reads 451 4.0.0 line 88 Cannot open /etc/mail/local-hosts-name: World writable directory
451 4.0.0 line 513 Cannot open /etc/mail/trusted-users: World writable directory

I have tried directory permissions 755, 640, and 644.

Any other suggestions??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Sendmail configuration - help needed

System is running HP-UX11 I need to configure sendmail, to send to a mail server of ours... Any help would be appreciated.... I will be using mailx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. AIX

sendmail configuration

I am in the process of setting up a new AIX 5.2 machine. I am not normally an AIX admin so please excuse if this is a dumb question.... this being that I need to alter the sendmail config. I can easily diff the default sendmail.cf with an existing server's file and see where to make the changes I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nzaixer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail Configuration - [Urgent]

I had my admin team to configure the SMTP on my HPUX unix box to send mails. Now they have given me a SMTP ip xx.xx.xx.xx and asked my to use this ip in ur code and not hostname for sending mails. where should I put this SMTP IP in the code or what should i configure in order to send mails. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fresh sendmail configuration

I have a requirement to enable sendmail in all the servers in our lab. This is required in lots of cases like e-mail the server owner if any hardware error and if any application problems and so. Here my part is to confirm that it is possible to send e-mail to the system user from the server.e-mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testbedengr
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX sendmail configuration

I want to configure sendmail on AIX 4 and 5 to send emails to a windows SMTP proxy server for distribution. Mail would be going from AIX to Windows but any return emails would be sent not AIX but to a default Windows return address. What variables in the AIX sendmail.cf file would need to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahe
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Sendmail Configuration

Hi, We have a standalone Solaris 10 Server (no DNS is configured) from which we want email alerts to be triggered when there is any breaches in the disk utilization threshold levels. we would like to achieve this mailing through sendmail. Can any one explain the procedure to do so..??? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail configuration.

Hi All, I need to configure mail functionality which enable us to send mail to outside company network. I just came to know that we have to configure outbound mail host/relaying mail in sendmail.cf file. Can someone suggest me on what to change in sendmail.cf, what information is required... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Sendmail Configuration

Hi All, Need help !. I am configuring SMTP server details in my sendmail.cf My SMTP server details are like MAC234.ad.compname.com, and i have configured my sendmail.cf with this address. But mail address is something like user1@compname.com. Now when i run the sendmail command, i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpsam
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Sendmail FAX configuration

I've been trying to send FAXs from an HP_UX server using sendmail via an Esker FAX server. However if I try to include FAX configuration details in the receipient address it fails. See following string for general format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JohnMair
1 Replies
lsMode(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       lsMode(3pm)

NAME
Stat::lsMode - format file modes like the "ls -l" command does SYNOPSIS
use Stat::lsMode; $mode = (stat $file)[2]; $permissions = format_mode($mode); # $permissions is now something like `drwxr-xr-x' $permissions = file_mode($file); # Same as above $permissions = format_perms(0644); # Produces just 'rw-r--r--' $permissions = format_perms(644); # This generates a warning message: # mode 644 is very surprising. Perhaps you meant 0644... Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # Disable warning messages DESCRIPTION
"Stat::lsMode" generates mode and permission strings that look like the ones generated by the Unix "ls -l" command. For example, a regular file that is readable by everyone and writable only by its owner has the mode string "-rw-r--r--". "Stat::lsMode" will either examine the file and produce the right mode string for you, or you can pass it the mode that you get back from Perl's "stat" call. "format_mode" Given a mode number (such as the third element of the list returned by "stat"), return the appopriate ten-character mode string as it would have been generated by "ls -l". For example, consider a directory that is readable and searchable by everyone, and also writable by its owner. Such a directory will have mode 040755. When passed this value, "format_mode" will return the string "drwxr-xr-x". If "format_mode" is passed a permission number like 0755, it will return a nine-character string insted, with no leading character to say what the file type is. For example, "format_mode(0755)" will return just "rwxr-xr-x", without the leading "d". "file_mode" Given a filename, do "lstat" on the file to determine the mode, and return the mode, formatted as above. Novice Operation Mode A common mistake when dealing with permission modes is to use 644 where you meant to use 0644. Every permission has a numeric representation, but the representation only makes sense when you write the number in octal. The decimal number 644 corresponds to a permission setting, but not the one you think. If you write it in octal you get 01204, which corresponds to the unlikely permissions "-w----r-T", not to "rw-r--r--". The appearance of the bizarre permission "-w----r-T" in a program is almost a sure sign that someone used 644 when they meant to use 0644. By default, this module will detect the use of such unlikely permissions and issue a warning if you try to format them. To disable these warnings, use Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # disable novice mode Stat::lsMode->novice(1); # enable novice mode again The surprising permissions that are diagnosed by this mode are: 111 => --xr-xrwx 400 => rw--w---- 440 => rw-rwx--- 444 => rw-rwxr-- 551 => ---r--rwt 600 => --x-wx--T 640 => -w------T 644 => -w----r-T 660 => -w--w-r-T 664 => -w--wx--T 666 => -w--wx-wT 700 => -w-rwxr-T 711 => -wx---rwt 750 => -wxr-xrwT 751 => -wxr-xrwt 751 => -wxr-xrwt 755 => -wxrw--wt 770 => r------wT 771 => r------wt 775 => r-----rwt 777 => r----x--t Of these, only 400 is remotely plausible. BUGS
As far as I know, the precise definition of the mode bits is portable between varieties of Unix. The module should, however, examine "stat.h" or use some other method to find out if there are any local variations, because Unix being Unix, someone somewhere probably does it differently. Maybe it "file_mode" should have an option that says that if the file is a symlink, to format the mode of the pointed to file instead of the mode of the link itself, the way "ls -Ll" does. SEE ALSO
o "http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/lsMode/". o ls o chmod o stat AUTHOR
Mark-Jason Dominus ("mjd-perl-lsmode@plover.com"). perl v5.10.1 1998-04-20 lsMode(3pm)