Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: resizing slices
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers resizing slices Post 33076 by yls177 on Monday 16th of December 2002 06:27:37 AM
Old 12-16-2002
unlike aix, hpux, sun doesnt ofter LVM which has the flexibility to extend, configure as required... if i am not wrong, for sun platform, once u configure, there is no way u can reconfigure unless with the option of reslice everything again... and that of course will lose all the data.

please correct me if i am wrong..

thanks
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 installation slices

Anyone know if SUN recommends users to install the root parition on 1 single slice or break out the /var , /etc, /opt etc on separate slices? What if i only have a single hdd that is only 2 GB (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new disk slices

How do I create new disk slices taking space from an existing slice? Right now I have slice 6 (/usr) with 16G. I'd like to create slices 5 (/opt) and 7 (/export/home) and steal space from slice 6. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmgrady01
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

*BSD slices - multiple questions

Can you have a second primary slice on a second hdd? I know that primary slices are defined in the mbr, but where are all the sub partitions defined at? From the OBSD installation FAQ: What exactly is in the PBR? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Derrek
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resize root disk slices

I have a Sun box running Solaris 9. My root disk was slices too small when it was installed and I am now at 99% capacity for my root partition. Is it possible, and if so how?, to increase the size of slice 0 and decrease the size of slice 7?? Thanks! Current partition table... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

5. Solaris

SAN DISKS - Number of slices ?

Good morning to one and all :-) Thank god its Friday, as its bee na rubbish week for me ! So, a quick question. Disks ! Ive got a few local disks, and a few SAN disks used on my solaris server. Whats confusing me, and Im not sure if there's an issue at the SAN end, or my end, regarding the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Partitioning hard disk. Want 8 slices...have 9

Hi all I'm having difficulty setting up a proper disk structure on a 72GB HDD. The drive was previously part of a zfs pool. The zpool has ben destroyed and now I want to use the disk in a raid 5 array. I need to partition the disk accordingly though. This is what the partition table currently... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

7. Solaris

ufs slices info in solaris

how do you get start and end sector of a UFS slice? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

8. BSD

NetBSD, SPARC, UFS slices

I need to shrink a UFS slice with NetBSD on SPARC. seems the only way is backup+reformat. can someone please give me exact commands for that? presumably backup is file-by-file instead of sector-by-sector, but how to preserve permissions/dates/attributes.. ? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Scrapping slices

Hi Admins, Server is sparc solaris 9 I am new into solaris with little experiemce with SVM. /dev/dsk/c3t0d1s4 /u05 /dev/dsk/c3t0d1s3 /u02 /dev/dsk/c3t0d1s5 /u11 There are 3 file system created on slices of disk c3t0d1. Now i want to scrap all the slices and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newsol
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

partition of slices

Hello, I am using solaris 10 x86. my root and backup slices is having same memory 10 GB and same cylinders numbers . My root and backup cylinders ends at same cylinder number 1031. so for creating a new slice i am giving starting cylinder from 1302 and this is giving me error as "out of range" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
2 Replies
SETUPCON(1)						    Console-setup User's Manual 					       SETUPCON(1)

NAME
setupcon - sets up the font and the keyboard on the console SYNOPSIS
setupcon [OPTION]... [VARIANT] DESCRIPTION
setupcon is a program for fast and easy setup of the font and the keyboard on the console. Most of the time you invoke setupcon without arguments. The keyboard configuration is specified in ~/.keyboard or /etc/default/keyboard. The font configuration is specified in ~/.console-setup or /etc/default/console-setup. Consult keyboard(5) and console-setup(5) for instructions how to configure these two files. If you have to switch often between different encodings, keyboards or languages, you can prepare several alternative configuration files for setupcon. Suppose that most of the time you will use Greek language with Greek keyboard layout, but sometimes you need to type in Ger- man with German keyboard layout. In this situation you should customize the main configuration files (keyboard and console-setup) for Greek. Also, create alternative configuration files for German named keyboard.german and console-setup.german. Then in order to configure the console for Greek you will simply run the command with no arguments: setupcon and in order to configure the console for German you will use setupcon german. OPTIONS
VARIANT Specifies which configuration file to use. With no variant, the configuration files of setupcon are named console-setup and key- board. On the other hand, if you use e.g. chukchi as VARIANT then the configuration files are console-setup.chukchi and key- board.chukchi. In this way you can have easy access to several different configurations - for example one for the Chukchi language and another for the default configuration. -v, --verbose Be more verbose. Use this option if something goes wrong or while experimenting with the configuration files. -k, --keyboard-only Setup the keyboard only, do not setup the font or the terminal. On Linux it is enough to do this configuration only once. -f, --font-only Setup the font only, do not setup the keyboard or the terminal. On Linux this configuration should be repeated each time a new con- sole driver is activated (for example when the frame buffer becomes active). -t, --terminal-only Setup the terminal only, do not setup the keyboard or the font. --current-tty Setup the only the current virtual terminal. --force Do not check whether we are on the console. Notice that you can be forced to hard-reboot your computer if you run setupcon with this option and the screen is controlled by a X server. --save This option can be useful if you want to use setupcon early in the boot process while /usr is not yet mounted and the required data are not available. This option will make setupcon copy the required files in /etc/console-setup/ in order to make them available before /usr is mounted. If you use setupcon early in the boot process, then you should run it with this option after every change of the console configuration. --save-only The same as --save, but does not setup anything. This option can be useful if you want to save the required files while the screen is controlled by a X server. --save-keyboard FILE For use by initrd builders. Do not configure anything. Save an usable keyboard layout in FILE. --setup-dir DIR For use by initrd builders. Do not configure anything. Arrange in the directory DIR everything necessary in order to configure the console. The file DIR/morefiles lists all binaries the initrd builder has to install in the initrd image. All other files in DIR have to be copied unchanged in the initrd. In order to configure the console one has to run the script DIR/bin/setupcon. -h, --help Display usage information. FILES
~/.console-setup ~/.keyboard /etc/default/console-setup /etc/default/keyboard /etc/default/console-setup.VARIANT /etc/default/keyboard.VARIANT /etc/console-setup/ SEE ALSO
keyboard(5), console-setup(5) console-setup 2011-03-17 SETUPCON(1)