Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo $SHELL, $PWD and etc.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo $SHELL, $PWD and etc. Post 33074 by yls177 on Monday 16th of December 2002 12:17:18 AM
Old 12-16-2002
brilliant.. thanks!!!

now,ksh, csh, sh all can uses SET....

ksh -> kourne
chs -> c shell
sh -> bourne

am i right?
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Echo with ksh shell

Hi All, I'm trying to use the "echo" command in a korn shell script, and I want it to drop the trailing newline. Now I know that with the bash shell, the "-n" flag would solve this issue. Does anyone know how this can be done with the korn shell? Cheers Khoom (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell and echo

Probably my first post, very new to shell scripting :) Here is the script i am trying to modify to use function # Script to create simple menus and take action according to that selected # menu item # while : do clear echo "-------------------------------------" echo "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replyramdas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pwd & cd commands not working in shell script

Here is my script #!/bin/bash pwd cd /var/lib/pgsql Both "pwd" and "cd" are not executed is there any other way i can change the current working directory to /var/lib/pgsql pls help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/}

Can anyone explain this in detail ... echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/} Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Confused with echo $SHELL Command....

Hi.. Everyone... Kindly consider following : login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Last login: Mon Nov 3 19:30:50 2008 from xxxxxxxxxxx Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005 You have new mail. Sourcing //.profile-EIS..... # # ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo $PWD doesn't work

I have entry in the my .profile like below, but still i see $PWD is not defied in my system export PS1=$LOGNAME@`hostname`':'$PWD'>' echo $PWD also gives me nothing, my env list also give no entry for PWD.Can someone help me setting PWD variable. I use /bin/sh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

implementing mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd inside a shell !

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: need to implement mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd given a shell.cpp directory.cpp and some other files this shell missing these commands, and i need to implement them inside the shell 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evantheking
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell echo help needed

echo '#!/usr/local/bin/expect' > sree_expt echo "spawn passwd $User" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "New password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "Re-enter new password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo "expect eof" >> sree_expt for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
0 Replies

9. AIX

sync samba pwd with aix5.3 pwd

currently, my samba login works just fine. i want my clients to use aix5.3 account to login to samba so they don't have to change samba pwd and aix pwd. i googled, and vi /usr/lib/smb.conf per some of knowledge base, but i could not get to work. aix5.3 and samba 3.0.24.0 thanks in advace..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell's pwd

Hi there, i was presented with a challenge that is beyond my current shell knowledge: how can you have a script that executed interactive will change your current working directory? Example (under MacOS): 1. start Terminal and my current working directory is my home folder 2. execute a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)