Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting all file names in a folder. Post 3305 by adadevil on Thursday 28th of June 2001 01:29:34 PM
Old 06-28-2001
Error Getting all file names in a folder.

Hi All,
I need help to create a shell script that does following:

- do ls -1 and let all file names in the current folder
- do wc for each file and if wc > 0 then send a mail.

I am new to unix and do not know how to get filename one by one in a loop, so that wc can be done. I have done rest of the things but just looping all files is left.

Please help!

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working with folder names

I have the following directory structure: /maindir /maindir/product1/ /maindir/product1/type1 /maindir/product1/type2 /maindir/product1/type3 /maindir/product2/ /maindir/product2/type1 /maindir/product2/type2 /maindir/product2/type3 /maindir/product2/type4 ... I'm able to traverse... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files with similar names to folder

I have in directory /media/AUDIO/WAVE many .mp3 files with names like: my filename_01of02.mp3 my filename_02of02.mp3 Your File_01of06.mp3 Your File_02of06.mp3 etc.... In the same directory, /media/AUDIO/WAVE, I have many folders with names like 9780743579490 9780743579491 etc.. Inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing names of files in multiple folder

I have 1000's of directories which is named as numbers. Each directory contains multiple files. Each of these directories have a file named "att". I need to rename all the att files by adding the directory name followed by "_" then att for each of the directories. Directories 120 att... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

Good day, everyone! I'm very new to bash scripting. Our teacher gave us a task to create a script that basically does the same job the 'du' command does, with the difference that 'du' command gives an output in the form of <size> <folder name>and what we need is <folder name> <size>As for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script that would reproduce the output of 'du' command, but in a different way: what 'du' does is: <size> <folder name>and what is needed is <folder name> <size>We need to show only 10 folders which are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing space from file and folder names

I have a folder that contains many sub folders and files. This tree has to be backed up to an archive system. According to the tech support, one of the archives is failing to back up due to the possibility of trailing spaces on file and folder names. Therefore, I would like to have a script... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipertech
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to tar/rsync/rm multiple folder names

hi all, i attach a link with what im trying to do automatically via script but i have some questions i need answering please, bear in mind i am really new to bash scripting, the only thing i know how to do is commands in scripts like cd rm tar rsync cp stuff like that i have mutiple project... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
48 Replies
SHAR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SHAR(1)

NAME
shar -- create a shell archive of files SYNOPSIS
shar file ... DESCRIPTION
The shar command writes a sh(1) shell script to the standard output which will recreate the file hierarchy specified by the command line op- erands. Directories will be recreated and must be specified before the files they contain (the find(1) utility does this correctly). The shar command is normally used for distributing files by ftp(1) or mail(1). EXAMPLES
To create a shell archive of the program ls(1) and mail it to Rick: cd ls shar `find . -print` | mail -s "ls source" rick To recreate the program directory: mkdir ls cd ls ... <delete header lines and examine mailed archive> ... sh archive SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(1) HISTORY
The shar command appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The shar command makes no provisions for special types of files or files containing magic characters. The shar command cannot handle files without a newline (' ') as the last character. It is easy to insert trojan horses into shar files. It is strongly recommended that all shell archive files be examined before running them through sh(1). Archives produced using this implementation of shar may be easily examined with the command: egrep -v '^[X#]' shar.file BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD