Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky one...
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Tricky one... Post 32994 by saabir on Thursday 12th of December 2002 11:03:44 AM
Old 12-12-2002
Tricky one...

Here's my problem:

I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro with no internal CD or Floppy drives. I want to install Linux on it. I don't care about the Windows XP Pro installation, in fact I would like to install Linux over the entirety of the HD. However I cannot boot from any external CD drive (via USB, PCMCIA, Firewire) as my BIOS does not support this (the drive is not detected soon enough to be used as a boot device). I have another Windows XP machine with a CD drive as well as a DVD drive. If I network the two is it possible to boot the laptop from the installation disk loaded into the CD/DVD drive of the other machine? If so, how would I accomplish this?

Many thanks for any advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky Sed

Hello. I am trying to convert occurrences of 'NULL' from a datafile. The 'NULL' occurences appears at this: |NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL| There should be 52 fields per line. I would like any occurrence of | NULL| or |NULL| to appear as '||' Currently I am using this sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky Quotation Question

Hi, I am at a point in my script where I defined the number of the command line parameter I would like to set a variable equal to: parameter_number=14 I would then like to set a variable equal to the correct parameter: variable=$parameter_number The issue here is that {} is required... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tricky file output

I have a following file, I want to output 2 files. Is that easy to do? Output 1 output2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbchen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky data manipulation...

Hi everyone.. I am new here, hello.. I hope this doesn't come across to you folks as a stupid question, I'm somewhat new to scripting :) I'm seeking some help in finding a way to manipulate data output for every two characters - example: numbers.lst contains the following output:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: explicit
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed tricky problem

Hi, I have a file which contains two strings: AAAAA and BBBBB I have two variables in my script: DATE="03/21/2010" aDate="20100321" I need to replace string AAAAA with variable $DATE and BBBBB with $aDate. Here is what I do sed "s/AAAAA/$DATE/" $BASIC_TMPLT | sed "s/BBBBB/$aDate/" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axed
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Tricky egrep

Hi folks! My first post here. I'm working on a script that retrieves a range of files from a list depending on a range of time. UPDATE: I've seen it could be difficult to read all this thing, so I'll make a summarize it.. How come I do this and take a result.. grep "..\:.." lista.new |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl0x
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky GREP question..

I have some large login files that I need to extract (user)@(server) from. Where it gets tricky is that there is usually more than one '@' sign on each line(although it does have a leading space if it's not part of the (user)@(server) string), I need only the (user)@(server) section, I need only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mordaris
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

Tricky situation getting IP address

Hi, I have a multihomed system HP-UX with two NIC cards having IP address 10.9.0.13 & 10.9.0.45 I have two weblogic servers running one listening on "10.9.0.13" and the other on "10.9.0.45" Given a PID how is it possible to extract the IP Address that the weblogic server is using and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed required

Hi All I need to put some sed together for a task and its a bit advanced for me, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here could help. I have a csv file with content like this - "","abcde","","" "'","abcde","","" "","","","1234" "'e'","","","" I need to remove any single quotes that fall... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing xml - tricky one...need help!!

Hi, i am new to linux programming fraternity but looks like starting with a big thing... yes..xml parsing (it is indeed tough for a beginner like me) so need your kind help... The snippet of xml looks like: <snapshot> <tag1> <key>1234</key> <keytype>abcd</keytype> </tag1> <tag2>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie2014
11 Replies
EX(4)							 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						     EX(4)

NAME
ex -- Ethernet device driver for the Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+ SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device ex Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_ex_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ex driver provides support for Ethernet adapters based on the Intel i82595 chip. On the ISA bus, the card will be searched for in the I/O address range 0x200 - 0x3a0. The IRQ will be read from the EEPROM on the card. For correct operation Plug-N-Play support should be disabled. On the PC Card bus, the card will be automatically recognized and configured. HARDWARE
The ex driver supports the following Ethernet adapters: o Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 ISA o Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA o Olicom OC2220 Ethernet PC Card o Olicom OC2232 Ethernet/Modem PC Card o Silicom Ethernet LAN PC Card o Silicom EtherSerial LAN PC Card DIAGNOSTICS
ex%d: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10, address %6D, connector %s The device probe found an installed card, and was able to correctly install the device driver. ex%d: WARNING: board's EEPROM is configured for IRQ %d, using %d The device probe detected that the board is configured for a different interrupt than the one specified in the kernel configuration file. ex%d: invalid IRQ. The device probe detected an invalid IRQ setting. SEE ALSO
arp(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The ex device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. AUTHORS
The ex device driver was written by Javier Martin Rueda. The PC Card attachment was written by Mitsuru ISAWAKI and Warner Losh. This manual page was written by David E. O'Brien. BUGS
Currently the driver does not support multicast. The Silicom EtherSerial card's serial port does not currently work. The Olicom OC2232 PC Card should work with the ex driver, but is cur- rently completely broken. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD