Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stderr redirection
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stderr redirection Post 32985 by Ralf on Thursday 12th of December 2002 08:52:05 AM
Old 12-12-2002
I though it was the same for all shells?

This shold produce a file 'junk.txt' with an error from stderr

Code:
$ RunFail > junk.txt 2>$1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection in csh script

Man pages....look at the man pages. If you don't have them, you can find them on-line. Read them when you have nothing better to do. Find new commands and new ways of doing things. The answer: The only way to direct the standard output and standard error separately is by invoking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehoghunter
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh stderr redirection

Hi everyone, Simple scripting question here. I have: #!/bin/csh if ( -e $HOME/*.core) then rm -f $HOME/*.core >& /dev/null else echo "No core files to delete." endif But I keep getting the /home/user/*.core: no match dialog. How can I suppress this? or, why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why stderr file descriptor redirection makes ksh's "select" construct hang.

I am trying to use one global declaration --> "exec 2>$ERR" to capture all stderr outputs that may occur anywhere in my script. Then close it at the end of the script using --> "exec 2<&-" I am using KSH on Solaris 8. KSH Version M-11/16/88i If I comment two "exec .." statements in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT and STDERR redirection within a script

Hello all, I have a for loop executing in a script that I want to redirect STDOUT to screen and to file, while directing STDERR to the bit bucket. Here is the general sentax of what I'm doing: for i in thingy do some_command ${i} done 1>&1 | tee ${LOGFILE} 2> /dev/null What I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout, stderr redirection

Hi all, can someone help me with the next redirection? i want to redirect the stdout+stderr of a command to the same file (this i can do by prog &> file) but in addition i want to redirect only the stderr to a different file. how can i do this please? (in BASH) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection not working

I am running tcsh/csh shell on my machine. lately i have realized my stderr file redirection is not working. Please find the terminal logs as below: >echo b c >>& log >cat log b c >echo $a b c >>& log a: Undefined variable. >cat log b c I have never faced such issues, hence not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)