Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition. Post 32845 by djtrippin on Sunday 8th of December 2002 06:37:17 PM
Old 12-08-2002
I was unclear in explaining what I have done. I already have a linux swap space. What I did was make a partition in Fat32 for Windows and Linux to share so I can move files about between the OS's. I know what linux swapspace is, sorry if I was unclear, all I needed to know was how to set up the fat32 partition for read/write in linux. The link contains the answers I need, I forgot to search, my bad...Thanx Neo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris Linux Windows partition confuse

Dear All I tried to follow the instruction in this link: http://multiboot.solaris-x86.org/v/2.html I created all these partitions as mentioned in the link above by using partition commander 9 Fist stage: I installed XP in first partition (hda1)....success. Second stage: Install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zillah
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatted Linux partition from Windows

While working in windows, I accidently formatted the Linux partition (I had fedora core 3 dual boot system with Windows XP as the default OS to boot). Now, on starting the comp, I see a grub command line, and I am not able to make any progress from there. Can I do something so that I change it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangupta
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Find a Fat32 partition under solaris 10 x86

Hello, I use Sun Solaris 10 under a x86 computer, and I want to mount a Fat32 partition who are stored in the same disk with the UFS filesystem. But, before mount this partition, I need to know is location in /dev/dsk Because there are a lot of file "c0t0d0" etc..., and I didn't find my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willits
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

accessing windows 2k3 partition from Linux Advance Server 3

Dear all i hav dual operating system ie windows 2003 and Red Hat Advance Server3 trying to mount windows partition on linux operating system using the following method 1)mkdir /mnt/windows 2)mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows mount: fs type ntf not supported by kernel and my kernel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

No option to create partition using FAT32

Hi, i have a new laptop without any OS. I'm about to install win 7. i have a FreeDos CD and I'm currently trying to install it. My hard drive has about 610 000 GB space. I'm unable to create a partition bigger than ~2 GB. I know that normally when you start FDISK, you're asked if you want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harriii
1 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3 mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3 In both the output says the the device isn't present. the output is something like this: mkfs.FAT32: no device present mkfs.NTFS: no device present I am able to format in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
2 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)