Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: keypress signals
Top Forums Programming keypress signals Post 32812 by Perderabo on Saturday 7th of December 2002 03:04:03 PM
Old 12-07-2002
I'm not sure that I understand your question. But if you want to read each keystroke as it happens, see this post.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

keypress event in shell script

Hi All, How can I trap a character press in the shell script. For eg:- I have a script runinng a infinite loops , I will need to dispay menu asking for run process of to stop process and process stauts like we do in glance I have seen the traping the signal in glance command, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trap a user keypress

Yo, I program Unix for fun- except when editing my website removed by reborg - and wanted to learn how to track, trap, and use to my advantage a user keypress. I know there is a built-in JS function that can do that, but Javascript is a client-side language, therefore not usable in Unix, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: signebedi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

override mysqladmin drop table asking for keypress

I am trying to run this code from script. mysqladmin -u root --password='******' --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock drop ROAD_HAULAGE_TEMP Though it does what i want it asks for me to click 'y' then enter. This is not appropriate because i want it to run from cron. Can i get mysqladmin to drop a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i detect a keypress such as Page-Down ?

Hi, New user here, I have googled this but found nothing that helps me. I have a file of data and want to display it to a user from within a "frame/window/screen" that allows the user to pageup/pagedown through the data. I can do this mostly, but I cannot detect the pressing of the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gcraill
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash KeyPress (or Read Single Character)

Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it on the forums (or anywhere on google :( ) I am writing a script where a user must enter a single character to perform an action. For example, Press Q to Quit or R to Refresh Basically I am stuggling... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
5 Replies

6. Programming

get keypress c++Qt

Hi i need to get the key pressed from the keyboard without focus on the application. i work under CentOS 5.5 with QtC++ 4.7 and Python Script (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HanyM.Magdy
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Bind a keypress to a function

I've been trying to re-think an old problem that didn't get answered. I know this is possible, but I'm having trouble getting it to run. I just want to call a function with a key-press or key combination. I looked and saw bind can be used to run functions and other scripts this way. Here's what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies

8. Programming

Simulate keypress inside a non-x application...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a solution to simulate a key-combo (tab+q) inside an amiga-emulator. I've tried it with uinput and python without any success. Any help would be great. Cheers McCarthy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mccarthy83
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash loop hording keypress input

I have a bash loop that waits for a single key press, then does $something depending on what $key is pressed before refreshing the screen with updated data. The problem I have is that the script will store additional key presses and chain them together causing the screen to redraw and the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DarkPhoenix
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simulate keypress in bash

Hello everybody, I am using Windows 10 and cygwin/bash. I need to write a script in bash which simulates opening of a program and then press some keys such as F5, ENTER and ALT+F4. I have written a VBScript which does the job Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: supernono06
9 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)