Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running a program on boot!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running a program on boot! Post 32705 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 4th of December 2002 04:04:16 PM
Old 12-04-2002
there might be a README file in /etc/rc.d/ and that file might tell you how things are being done. thats the way it is with SuSE though, im not sure if its the same or similar with redhat. good luck!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a program automatically

How can I make a program run automatically at a certain time of day? My problem is I need to make a small backup program that will back up a few files every day? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvadn0
3 Replies

2. Programming

running a c/c++ program in unix

This is not a question, but rather a simple how-to for programmers who are new to the UNIX environment. I too,am new to UNIX. First I developed a few programs on my box and perfected them until they were satisfactory for execution. Problem was however, that once i compiled and all that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kray
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program

Hi.Iam new to Linux.i got linux 7.0 pro and dont know how to run programs. I want a perl interputer and i know i installed one but how do i run it ??? Also how do i run a C or C++ editor ?and how do i run cron ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

4. Programming

running a program for a specified time

how can i run a program for a specified time? i need to print a current time during program execution. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prosputko
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Compile a code for running on boot

How can I compile a code that can be runned on boot:?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4n1l0d
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Running More than One Program

Folks, I'm really new to scripting and was wondering if you could help me out. I have the following script that I inherited: #!/bin/bash # # Usage # From the agent directory: # ./run-any-agent AgentName # TAC_AGENT_HOME=`pwd` LIB=${TAC_AGENT_HOME}/lib CLASSPATH=.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTriniWay
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running C# program problem

Hi All, How to run c# program using shell script ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikar.ch
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check service is running at boot

dears am having solaris 10, and i would like to know if the NTP service is running when the OS staritng?on the other hand how can i make it start at the boot up?note the ntp is managed by the SMF in solaris 10. thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehero
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ethtool script not running on boot.

Hi, there is an incompatibility between my NIC and my Western Digital Powerline adapters which appears to cause autonegotiation to fail intermittently, most often following a reboot. Running the following Ethtool script will establish a connection immediately: #!/bin/sh # chkconfig: 345 85... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: torley
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to keep program running after logout

Hello everyone. I am logged into a computer through ssh. I would like to run a program and have it keep running after I log out without screen (i forgot to run it). For example: ssh server user/comp~$ top & 12021 exit after that: ssh server user/comp~$ (something, maybe shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lepetal
5 Replies
STARTPAR(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTPAR(8)

NAME
startpar - start runlevel scripts in parallel SYNOPSIS
startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] [-a arg] prg1 prg2 ... startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] -M [ boot|start|stop] DESCRIPTION
startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the -a option. Processes block by pending I/O will weighting by the factor 800. To change this factor the option -i can be used to specify an other value. The output of each script is buffered and written when the script exits, so output lines of different scripts won't mix. You can modify this behaviour by setting a timeout. The timeout set with the -t option is used as buffer timeout. If the output buffer of a script is not empty and the last output was timeout seconds ago, startpar will flush the buffer. The -T option timeout works more globally. If no output is printed for more than global_timeout seconds, startpar will flush the buffer of the script with the oldest output. Afterwards it will only print output of this script until it is finished. The -M option switches startpar into a make(1) like behaviour. This option takes three different arguments: boot, start, and stop for reading .depend.boot or .depend.start or .depend.stop respectively in the directory /etc/init.d/. By scanning the boot and runlevel direc- tories in /etc/init.d/ it then executes the appropriate scripts in parallel. FILES
/etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop SEE ALSO
init.d(7), insserv(8), startproc(8). COPYRIGHT
2003,2004 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2007 SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> Jun 2003 STARTPAR(8)