Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The difference between SCSI & IDE Hard disks. Post 32616 by PxT on Monday 2nd of December 2002 03:51:13 PM
Old 12-02-2002
SCSI and IDE are two different types of interface. They use different disks, controlers, cables, etc to attach to your PC. SCSI is generally faster, more expandable, and more reliable than IDE. It is also much more expensive. IDE disks can be used with the Intel version of Solaris, as long as they are recognized by the BIOS.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Change rootdev from SCSI to IDE

Hi, I have been attempting for the last few hours to change the root device to IDE from and SCSI adapter ... after modifying who knows how many files... (system still runs as long as the SCSI controller is present) ... as soon as I take it out, it gives me a panic, saying that rootdev cannot be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasha
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

3. AIX

SCSI Disks

Hi Is it possible to install in p5 and pSeries SCSI Disks from SUN on DELL? Will they work? Regards, Pit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

5. SCO

How to install UNIX 5.0.7 on an ML 330 G3 server with IDE array instead of scsi bus

My boss get a Proliant ML 330 G3 server with IDE ARRAY Bus, I try to isntall UNIX 5.0.7 on it but i't didn't detect as a hdd, I try to configure it as single logical drive and many combinations but UNIX always says taht there is no hdd, does anyone knows how to?? the boss of course won't say it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jactroo
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal

Wellcomes All, some times ago I 've installed a Debian ditribution on an Hard Disk who was set as Primary Master. Few days ago, I 've decided to install another Hard Disk with a different Operating System. When I did that, I turned off the old hard disk, and I mouted the new one on the Primary IDE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thekarsillo
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Maximize IDE Hard Disk

Hi there! I am installing Unixware 7.1 to a new server. We usually use SCSI hard for this but since this will be used only for testing, I decided to use an 80GB IDE hard disk. I was able to successfully load the unix but found out that the 80GB hard disk was not maximized. The total hard disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limpinmd
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Modifying properties to use scsi-3 reservation for disks with two paths in sun cluster

Hi I am having two node cluster. I was trying to change the to use scsi3 reservation for all disks having two paths. Please let me know where I went wrong or there any issue to implement the same. On node1 bash-3.2# cldev status === Cluster DID Devices === Device Instance ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
8 Replies
diskscan(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      diskscan(1M)

NAME
diskscan - perform surface analysis SYNOPSIS
diskscan [-W] [-n] [-y] raw_device DESCRIPTION
diskscan is used by the system administrator to perform surface analysis on a portion of a hard disk. The disk portion may be a raw parti- tion or slice; it is identified using its raw device name. By default, the specified portion of the disk is read (non-destructive) and errors reported on standard error. In addition, a progress report is printed on standard out. The list of bad blocks should be saved in a file and later fed into addbadsec(1M), which will remap them. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Causes diskscan to suppress linefeeds when printing progress information on standard out. -W Causes diskscan to perform write and read surface analysis. This type of surface analysis is destructive and should be invoked with caution. -y Causes diskscan to suppress the warning regarding destruction of existing data that is issued when -W is used. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?[ps]?. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbadsec(1M), disks(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the diskscan, addbad- sec(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS format utility; however, to label, ana- lyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 diskscan(1M)