Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux distro
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux distro Post 32554 by WIntellect on Friday 29th of November 2002 07:29:59 AM
Old 11-29-2002
You can install FreeBSD via floppy disks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying a Linux distro from one partition to the other...

Hola. Here is how my partition table looks: Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/hde1 1 1689 13566861 7 HPFS/NTFS /dev/hde2 * 1690 2783 8787555 83 Linux /dev/hde3 2784 2813 240975 82 Linux swap /dev/hde4 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Proper
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux distro from bash script

hello ALL, I wander, is there an easy way to get information which linux distro and its version a script runs on? I'm looking for a function like getDistroInfo(), which would return strings like "Ubuntu7.10" or "SLES10" or "RHEL5" etc. uname returns lots of stuff, but distro info.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samtim74
1 Replies

3. AIX

A thing AIX would do it like no other Linux distro?

Hi, I would like to know, is there a thing that AIX would do it, and RHEL or SLES would not? Something specific and great in the same time. It might sound weird, but I'm very curios. Thanks a lot guys! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixn00b
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Creating a Linux Distro

I have been using Linux OS since 4 years and I'm very interested to know how to create a Linux Distro. I have heard about LFS. I would just like to know, what do I need to create a Linux Distro? I'm not a programmer, if I have to create a Linux Distro, what programming languages do I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Auzern
3 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux desktop distro

I hate the fact that my first post is this. Anyhow, I've been using Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, openSUSE, and a few others for quite some time now. I've never had a problem with any distro, thus saying that they were all good in my opinion. I've been reading a lot on different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vex
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help creating a custom linux distro

Hi all, for a while now I've been working on a linux distro and I'm a couple of tweaks away from it to be perfected so if any experts want to help me out please message me. Thanks in advance. (I know I've posted a similar thread on the same topic but it was closed due to an unhelpful title... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: allk
0 Replies

8. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

9. Open Source

What is your favorite Linux distro?

What is your favorite Linux distro? and possibly why? Personally, I have Fedora 3 on my computer. I have used Ubuntu and Slackware, too. But I think I liked Ubuntu more, maybe because of its speed and easy installation of packages. (192 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
192 Replies
FDWRITE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						FDWRITE(1)

NAME
fdwrite -- format and write floppy disks SYNOPSIS
fdwrite [-v] [-y] [-f inputfile] [-d device] DESCRIPTION
The fdwrite utility formats and writes one and more floppy disks. Any floppy disk device capable of formatting can be used. The fdwrite utility will ask the user (on /dev/tty) to insert a new floppy and press return. The device will then be opened, and queried for its parameters, then each track will be formatted, written with data from the inputfile, read back and compared. When the floppy disk is filled, the process is repeated, with the next disk. This continues until the program is interrupted or EOF is encountered on the inputfile. The options are as follows: -v Toggle verbosity on stdout. Default is ``on''. After device is opened first time the format will be printed. During operation progress will be reported with the number of tracks remaining on the current floppy disk, and the letters I, Z, F, W, R and C, which indicates completion of Input, Zero-fill, Format Write, Read and Compare of current track respec- tively. -y Do not ask for presence of a floppy disk in the drive. This non-interactive flag is useful for shell scripts. -f inputfile Input file to read. If none is given, stdin is assumed. -d device The name of the floppy device to write to. Default is /dev/fd0. The fdwrite utility actually closes the device while it waits for the user to press return, it is thus quite possible to use the drive for other purposes at this time and later resume writing with the next floppy. The parameters returned from device are used for formatting. If custom formatting is needed, please use fdformat(1) instead. EXAMPLES
The fdwrite utility was planned as a tool to make life easier when writing a set of floppies, one such use could be to write a tar-archive: tar cf -. | gzip -9 | fdwrite -d /dev/fd0.1720 -v The main difference from using tar(1)'s multivolume facility is of course the formatting of the floppies, which here is done on the fly, thus reducing the amount of work for the floppy-jockey. SEE ALSO
fdformat(1) HISTORY
The fdwrite utility was written while waiting for ``make world'' to complete. Some of the code was taken from fdformat(1). AUTHORS
The program has been contributed by Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Diagnostics are less than complete at present. If a floppy is sick, and the inputfile is seekable, it should ask the user to frisbee the disk, insert another, and rewind to the right spot and continue. This concept could be extended to cover non-seekable input also by employing a temporary file. An option (defaulting to zero) should allow the user to ask for retries in case of failure. At present a suitable tool for reading back a multivolume set of floppies is missing. Programs like tar(1) for instance, will do the job, if the data has not been compressed. One can always trust dd(1) to help out in this situation of course. BSD
September 16, 1993 BSD