Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IP address and gateway info
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers IP address and gateway info Post 3225 by escaper on Wednesday 27th of June 2001 02:01:09 AM
Old 06-27-2001
In most unix distributions you can use command "route" to change your gateway
example: route add default gw {IP addr} {other options}
and command "ifconfig" to change your IP address
example: ifconfig {your device(my is eth0) } {IP addr}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying IP Address/Gateway/Subnet in SCO Unix

Hi, I'm new to unix and have absolutely no experience with it. I am trying to change the network setting on the only computer on our network with SCO Unix. We switched ISP's and now have a new set of IP's. I can't for the life of me figure out how to go in and change these settings, please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gateway address

How can I change the gateway address on my sco Openserver 5.0.6. A cisco firewall is recently installed but the gateway on the system is still pointing at the old one. I want it to use the gateway address of the router. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
2 Replies

3. Programming

how we can get gateway address

how we can get the gateway address. i know gethostname used for ipaddress how we can get the system gateway address. thank u inadvance, sree (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info about Gateway Server

Hi, Q1) What is a gateway server. Q2) In a dataflow diagram I see that two applications (on Server A) pass data to a server XYZ. In the document one application lists the Server XYZ as a gateway server, but the other doesn't talk about it. Both are similar applications i.e. applications in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
1 Replies

6. Linux

GNUGK-How to setup static gateway to gateway routing

Dear Sir I am a newbie in the world of IP telephony. I have been working with Asterisk PBX (SIP) and Cisco Call Manager (MGCP) but now I am learning on how to work GNUGK for H.323 Gatekeeper. I am having a problem, configuring static call routing on GNUGK in the section ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfondoum
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns at same time

Is there a command that can lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at the same. I know ifconfig can lookup ip address and subnet mask. I know route -n can lookup gateway. Not sure about a dns command. So I hope there is a way to lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default Gateway address question

Hi, Using Redhat 6.1 with all the latest patches. I have the default gateway address but it never gets loaded. I have to add that manually? Not sure. Any idea. Is there any other place which I need to add? /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 DEVICE="em1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to set gateway address to a particular interface?

How to set gateway address to a particular interface? waht are the files need to update to make it permanent? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
IFCONFIG.IF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    IFCONFIG.IF(5)

NAME
ifconfig.if -- interface-specific configuration files or variables DESCRIPTION
The ifconfig.if files or variables contain information regarding the configuration of each network interface. ifconfig.if is processed by /etc/rc.d/network at system boot time. For each interface (nnX) that is to be configured, there should be either an ifconfig_nnX variable in rc.conf(5), or an /etc/ifconfig.nnX file (such as the ifconfig_fxp0 variable or the /etc/ifconfig.fxp0 file for the fxp0 interface). Only characters allowed in sh(1) variables names should be used for nnX (ascii(7) uppercase and lowercase letters, digits, and underscore). The variable or file will get evaluated only if the interface exists on the system. Multiple lines can be placed in a variable or file, and will be evaluated sequentially. In the case of a variable, semicolons may be used instead of newlines, as described in rc.conf(5). <backslash><newline> sequences in files are ignored, so long logical lines may be made up of several shorter physical lines. Normally, a line will be evaluated as command line arguments to ifconfig(8). ``ifconfig nnX'' will be prepended on evaluation. Arguments with embedded shell metacharacters should be quoted in sh(1) style. If the line is equal to ``dhcp'', dhcpcd(8) will be started for the interface. However, it is instead recommended that dhcpcd is set to true in rc.conf(5) and any per interface configuration or restriction is done in dhcpcd.conf(5). If a line is empty, or starts with '#', the line will be ignored as comment. If a line starts with '!', the rest of line will get evaluated as shell script fragment. Shell variables declared in /etc/rc.d/network are accessible but may not be modified. The most useful variable is $int, as it will be bound to the interface being configured with the file. For example, the following illustrates static interface configuration: # IPv4, with an alias inet 10.0.1.12 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 100baseTX inet 10.0.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias # let us have IPv6 address on this interface inet6 2001:db8::1 prefixlen 64 alias # have subnet router anycast address too inet6 2001:db8:: prefixlen 64 alias anycast The following illustrates dynamic configuration setup with dhclient(8) and rtsol(8): up # autoconfigure IPv4 address !dhclient $int # autoconfigure IPv6 address. Be sure to set $ip6mode to autohost. !rtsol $int The following example sets a network name for a wireless interface (using quotes to protect special characters in the name), and starts dhcpcd(8): ssid 'my network' dhcp The following example is for dynamically-created pseudo interfaces like gif(4). Earlier versions of /etc/rc.d/network required an explicit 'create' command for such interfaces, but creation is now handled automatically. up # configure IPv6 default route toward the interface !route add -inet6 default ::1 !route change -inet6 default -ifp $int FILES
/etc/rc.d/network SEE ALSO
rc.conf(5), ifconfig(8) BSD
April 7, 2011 BSD