Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting java errors when calling from cron Post 32051 by mntamago on Monday 18th of November 2002 08:50:06 AM
Old 11-18-2002
Bug Just a bit of follow up...

I had been under the impression that trouble I encountered when trying to run my Insert_data JAVA class(application or whatever) can from my shell's ENV not being set correctly. I tried everything! I set CLASSPATH and PATH in .tcshrc . In the initial C SHELL script that is called from cron, I added things like ...

setenv JAVA_HOME_R "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Classes"
set classpath=($JAVA_HOME_R/classes.jar $JAVA_HOME_R/postgresql.jar)

You name it I tried it, but nothing worked.

What I found was it had nothing to do with setting my shells ENV (i.e. PATH CLASSPATH and such). Instead, this turned out to be entirely a JAVA side problem/solution. It was as simple as the following.

java -classpath /Users/admin/LOGS Insert_data

With the above I can run Insert_data from any directory on my machine, and I also have no trouble running/calling from cron.

Problem solved. Sorry to have gotten away from the main topic of discussion here, but I felt it might save others time, perhaps, to give a follow up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Java program calling a UNIX command

I was wondering if it was possible to call a unix command directly from a Java program during run-time. This command could very very basic e.g. "ps -ef" returned as a string, all I need is a starting place so if anyone has any suggestion or examples I would be very grateful (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: QUartz Ite
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

errors when running a cron job

I am running some shell scripts through a foll cron job, the script works fine and there are no errors in the log file but I receive the following error in mail for the jobs: stty: no such device or address What does the above error indicate, here is the cron job: 0 22 * * 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knarayan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calling a script from java

HI I need to build a GUI where a button could execute a script in Solaris 8. I am working with Sun ONE Studio 7 Enterprice Edition. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javierelizabeth
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a PHP script from cron

This is a line from my crontab: 12 12 * * * /home/users/ElburdNDL/www/backups/adddate.php The permissions of the script is 755 it should execute ok....but it doesn't. Do I somehow have to give cron the path to PHP or something? If so, how exactly? Thanks. Ed PS Am a total newbie... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: eludlow
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Java errors

Solaris 10. Getting a boatload of "Resource unavailable" on read errors for a Java process which is taking 350% of CPU. No I/O issues and dtrace shows lots of lwp calls. There are only 54 threads (or so, it fluxuates) but certainly not a lot. App is WebLogic. App has been up since the third and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue calling scripts through CRON.

I have the following cron job in the crontab. #! /bin/bash 25 15 * * 1-5 /export/home/svittala/scripts/scpt1.sh >/dev/null 2>&1. The problem that I am facing is - the scpt1.sh can be executed manually. But, it is not executing through CRON. Not sure what's the issue. Any hints?. Thanks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling C program from cron results in no output

I can call a C program from the shell and results are outputted as normal. The C program processes some files and spits out a .csv file. If I scheduled it in cron, there is no output. If their a special way to schedule C programs in cron? thanks & regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hazno
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Java Method from UNIX using shell script

Hi All, I need to call a java method from a shell script. I know we can use the command java ClassName to call the main method in it. But I need to call another method that is there in the class and pass an email to it. Can I use java ClassName.MethodName(email) Any help will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulK
4 Replies

9. Programming

calling java from c++

I have an adapter written in c++ from which I need to call a java service point. Could anybody please provide an example program of calling java from c++ thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Calling BASH script from JAVA

Hi, I am trying to call a bash script from a java file. Code to call bash script will look like: Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime(); Process process = runtime.exec("mybashfile.sh"); It is succesfully calling the bash file. I am using simple rm commands in the script to remove... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshman.forums
0 Replies
serialver(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialver(1)

NAME
serialver - serial version command SYNOPSIS
serialver [ options ] [ classnames ] options Command-line options, as specified in this document. classnames One or more class names. DESCRIPTION
serialver returns the serialVersionUID for one or more classes in a form suitable for copying into an evolving class. When invoked with no arguments, it prints a usage line. OPTIONS
-classpath <directories and zip/jar files separated by:> Set search path for application classes and resources. -show Displays a simple user interface. Enter the full class name and press either the Enter key or the Show button to display the serialVersionUID. -Joption Pass option to the Java virtual machine, where option is one of the options described on the man page for the java applica- tion launcher, java(1). For example, -J-Xms48m sets the startup memory to 48 megabytes. It is a common convention for -J to pass options to the underlying virtual machine. SEE ALSO
See (or search java.sun.com) for the following: java.io.ObjectStreamClass @ http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/docs/api/java/io/ObjectStreamClass.html 24 June 2004 serialver(1)