Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to install Suse Linux 8.1? Post 32014 by merlin on Saturday 16th of November 2002 09:17:59 PM
Old 11-16-2002
Not as simple as telling you how to install Linux as that.

Is your hardware supported by Linux? (Should be but always nice to check it out first)

Did you download this or buy it? If you bought it they come with instructions. If you downloaded it you can get instructions from the web.

Have you ever installed Linux or played with Linux before?

Depending on the answer for the above question. If yes, Well do you want to dual boot? partition a HDD? Do you know how to configure the lilo? Is it to be a single boot?

I'm not saying you wasted your time asking the question or that Linux is so hard to use, it's easy and nice when you know how. Also fun Smilie

We need more details with your question though to help and give the best answer for you. Like do you want help installing Linux from scratch? Or are you just having some problems at some stage of the install? Hardware Specs may be needed to help solve the question.

We need more details to be able to help.
merlin

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Best Repository for SUSE 10.1 install?

I've made a few attempts at an OpenSuse10.1 clean install using a boot.iso and network repository install dir. I've succesfully done a few network installs before and know what I'm doing with the procedure, however I seem to be getting problems with the connection to the remote repository. It's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to lose XP & Install Suse 10.1

Hello, I bought a second pc to install Suse 10.1 on. It came with Xp pro installed on it. I downloaded Suse 10.1, burned 5 CD's, changed bios to boot from the cdrom, restart the pc & Xp loads. Any suggestions? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick7269
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Install Suse from RedHat

Hi, There are two systems: (1) HP server under RedHat Linux with CD drive. (2) Notebook under Windows Vista with DVD drive. Now I want to install Suse Linux on the HP server, but the installation media is a DVD. How can I do it? Thank you much in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use yast2 to install software in SUSE?

Hi I ssh to a remote server which is running in SUSE. And I want to install apache2.0 there. Then I used yast2 to install it. But after installing it, I go to the terminal and type" apache -version" to check if apache is installed there. And it said "-bash: apache: command not found" I don't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
0 Replies
NICE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NICE(2)

NAME
nice - change process priority SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice(int inc); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): nice(): _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
nice() adds inc to the nice value for the calling process. (A higher nice value means a low priority.) Only the superuser may specify a negative increment, or priority increase. The range for nice values is described in getpriority(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, the new nice value is returned (but see NOTES below). On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process attempted to increase its priority by supplying a negative inc but has insufficient privileges. Under Linux the CAP_SYS_NICE capability is required. (But see the discussion of the RLIMIT_NICE resource limit in setrlimit(2).) CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. However, the Linux and (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return value is nonstandard, see below. SVr4 docu- ments an additional EINVAL error code. NOTES
SUSv2 and POSIX.1-2001 specify that nice() should return the new nice value. However, the Linux syscall and the nice() library function provided in older versions of (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return 0 on success. The new nice value can be found using getprior- ity(2). Since glibc 2.2.4, nice() is implemented as a library function that calls getpriority(2) to obtain the new nice value to be returned to the caller. With this implementation, a successful call can legitimately return -1. To reliably detect an error, set errno to 0 before the call, and check its value when nice() returns -1. SEE ALSO
nice(1), renice(1), fork(2), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), capabilities(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-07-26 NICE(2)