Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap Space Problem?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Swap Space Problem? Post 32002 by silvaman on Saturday 16th of November 2002 12:33:00 PM
Old 11-16-2002
Swap Problem

...sorry I just meant there was a line in /etc/fstab which is supposed to load the swap partition on boot. eg

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

when I issue 'cat /proc/swaps' i get

$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/hda6 partition 589640 0 -1

i would have expected the 'Used' filed to show something but it doesnt!.

...thanks anyway

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

problem with swap space

I have sun solaris 8 for intell with 128m physiccal ram and swap of 148. Oracle requires to have 512M swap space. Is there a way I can change the swap space on intell machine without repartioning the box:? what if i create a link to /swap from another place???? pls advise Jigar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange swap space problem, pls help.

During Sun Solaris 8 installation, I did allocate 1 G for the swap partition. By doing a "df -k" shows the swap space usage is only 1% even during the application server is heavily processing. However, when I do a "vmstat", it shows that the swap memory free space is only 8816 out of 1419100. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

4. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space used???

Plz I need to know how much swap mem free and used i have. I'm using Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (rev 1885) Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

6. Linux

swap space

Hi, I want to know how can i free the swap space if it is completely full, 0 mb remaining, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap space problem

Hy! Recently i had a problem with one of mine Tru64 machines. It started to kill processes because of low amount of swap space. It said that it went below 10 %. But when i ran swapon -s it said: In-use space: 12 % So, the system couldn't accept any new ssh connections plus it killed most of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Swap space

Dear All, I have a swap space of 16G available in Sol 10. I have allocated it as a seperate file system. But when the RAM Is full used , the system gets rebooted and the swap is not being used,. Any reasons for this. Rgds Rj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap space not getting used

CENT OS 5.8 server running with a huge java application which uses up all my ram (4GB) and requires excess of atleast 2GB.But the swap is not getting used up((8GB) of swap space left unused) leading a wierd error and stopping application to stop working. Any one here dealt with the same kind of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
2 Replies
SWAPON(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V] /sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e] /sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ... /sbin/swapon [-s] /sbin/swapoff [-h -V] /sbin/swapoff -a /sbin/swapoff specialfile ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. Normally, the first form is used: -h Provide help -V Display version -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. -a All devices marked as ``swap'' swap devices in /etc/fstab are made available. Devices that are already running as swap are silently skipped. -e When -a is used with swapon, -e makes swapon silently skip devices that do not exist. -p priority Specify priority for swapon. This option is only available if swapon was compiled under and is used under a 1.3.2 or later kernel. priority is a value between 0 and 32767. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. Swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). NOTE
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/hd?? standard paging devices /dev/sd?? standard (SCSI) paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 1.x 25 September 1995 SWAPON(8)