Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random Line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random Line Post 31819 by LivinFree on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 06:07:43 PM
Old 11-13-2002
I'll give that a shot!
I tried using division, but not using % (I can't remember what it's called ATM...). It appears that I get a good mix out of it!

Thanks crashnburn - I'll post my script if it turns out how I want it (i.e. - I don't abandon it first Smilie ...)

Last edited by LivinFree; 11-13-2002 at 07:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random

My problem is as follow and i hope you can help: I currently have this function: stored_word() { number=$RANDOM let "number %= 21" case $number in 0 ) echo "energy" ;; 1 ) echo "touch" ;; 2 ) echo "climbing" ;; 3 ) echo "declare" ;; 4 ) echo "marry" ;; 5 ) echo "relax" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

$random

I need to use the $RANDOM command to get a line from a list of lines in a file randomly. file is help go three house film how do i randomly get one word without looking into the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read random line from a text file

I have a text file with hundreds of lines, i wish to run a script and reads a random line to pass it to another command line such as: for line in `cat file |grep random line`; do echo $line |mail my@example.com ; done thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column for each line in a csv file with fixed string+random number

Hi experts, My csv file looks like this U;cake;michael;temp;;;; U;bread;john;temp;;;; U;cocktails;sarah;temp;;;; I'd like to change the value fo 2nd column to cf+random number , which will look maybe something like this U;cf20187;michael;temp;;;; U;cf8926;john;temp;;;;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse large file on line count (random lines)

I have a file that needs to be parsed into multiple files every time there line contains a number 1. the problem i face is the lines are random and the file size is random. an example is that on line 4, 65, 187, 202 & 209 are number 1's so there has to be file breaks between all those to create 4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darbs121
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing a special line and Byte in a random file

Hello I created 3 files by: dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=1000000 of=./testfile1 dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=5000000 of=./testfile2 dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=10000000 of=./testfile3 Now I want to know how to make a change in a specific byte and/or line of theses files? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhling
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert random numbers into each line?

I have a file contains thousands of lines. I want to insert n random numbers into each line at specific position. Like this: 0 22…… 1 33…… …… …… I want to insert 3 random numbers from position 2 to 4 into each line. 0 325 22…… 1 685 33…… …… …… Please use CODE tags when... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhdzhu
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
let(1)								   User Commands							    let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... ksh93 let [expr...] DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate arithmetic expression to be evaluated. ksh93 let evaluates each expr in the current shell environment as an arithmetic expression using ANSI C syntax. Variables names are shell vari- ables and they are recursively evaluated as arithmetic expressions to get numerical values. let has been made obsolete by the ((...)) syn- tax of ksh93(1) which does not require quoting of the operators to pass them as command arguments. EXIT STATUS
ksh ksh returns the following exit values: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ksh93 ksh93 returns the following exit values: 0 The last expr evaluates to a non-zero value. >0 The last expr evaluates to 0 or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), ksh93(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 let(1)