Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disaster recover w/tar & find Post 31806 by Neo on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 03:14:29 PM
Old 11-13-2002
I'm very interested in the original posters question of why find|cpio restores without corruption LILO as does tar (seemingly).

From your post, it would seem that one corrupts (or indirectly influences the corruption or lack of something) of either the Master Boot Record (MBR) or the LILO boot maps.

If we assume that both find|cpio and tar archive and restore the LILO configurations files in the LILO configuration directory, then a logical (but wrong, me thinks) assumption is un-tar corrupts the MBR, and that does not seem possible.

The premise of the question is very interesting and has me contemplating how we could uncover the problem.??.. OR, if there is someother factor that is causing the LILO error unrelated to either find|cpio or tar.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & tar execution problem

I'm trying to set up a stanard sh script that will find all the files that have been changed within the last day and then tar them up. I think the command line should be something like : find /home/bob -atime +0 -exec \ tar cvf /home/bob/files.tar {}\; Help please ... Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar & Grep together

Hi, I've got dozens of tar's with two files in each one, live_access_log & live_error_log (one tar for each day, backups). The probelm is i need to match a pattern in all of the archive_access_log files and output the line to a seperate file (All_access.log). I.e. I need to get details... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom123
21 Replies

3. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with tar & zip only last months(say,Sep) files

Need to 1. archive all the files in a directory from the previous month into a tar/gz file, ignoring all already archived 'tar.gz' files 2. Check created .tar.gz file isnt corrupted and has all the required files in it. and then remove the original files. I am using a function to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prev
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX & TAR related stuff

This thread is about using tar & other compression utilities on AIX ; 1. Find out which version of tar you are using thanks to bakunin >what $(which tar) /usr/bin/tar: 61 1.14 src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libc/__threads_init.c, libcthrd, bos53 0 7/11/00 12:04:14 10 ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
21 Replies

9. Solaris

UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape?

I've a tape contains a corrupt tar file. I'm using Unix SunOS 5.5.1. So when I run this command : dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/tmp/outputfile.tar I get this error message : warning /pci@1f, 0/pci@1/pci@1/sunw, isptwo@4/st@4,0 (sty): Error for command : read Error Level: Fatal Requested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akaderb
2 Replies
cpio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   cpio(4)

NAME
cpio - format of cpio archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure, when the option of is not used (see cpio(1)), is: When the option is used, the header information is described by: Longtime and Longfile are equivalent to and respectively. The contents of each file are recorded together with other items describing the file. Every instance of contains the constant 070707 (octal). The items through have meanings explained in stat(2). The length of the null-terminated path name including the null byte, is given by The last record of the archive always contains the name Directories and the trailer are recorded with equal to zero. It will not always be the case that and correspond to the results of but the values are always sufficient to tell whether two files in the archive are linked to each other. When a device special file is archived by HP-UX (using the option), contains a magic constant which is dependent upon the implementation doing the writing. flags the device file as an HP-UX 32-bit device specifier, and contains the 32-bit device specifier (see stat(2)). If the option is not present, special files are not archived or restored. Non-HPUX device special files are never restored. SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), stat(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cpio(4)