Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple fds in select()
Top Forums Programming Multiple fds in select() Post 31766 by Perderabo on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 09:10:31 AM
Old 11-13-2002
Your limit will depend on how many fd's you can have open at once.

By default, those macros are setup to handle onle 2048 fd's. If you need more fd's than than, then you must define FD_SETSIZE to be the number that you need. Put this "define" above the the "include" which is bringing in the FD macros. That include file will see your definition and will respect it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should a UNIX daemon process close open fds?

I have a UNIX daemon process that's been started by a parent process, an application server. The behavior of this daemon process is to inherit and use the app server's file descriptors (ports/sockets). When I shutdown the app server, the daemon continues to run, because there may be other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunalashar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic select with multiple word menu items

Hello all, I'm developing a deployment script at work and at one point it would need to display something like this: Which version of ADMIN would you like to deploy? 1) 1.0.0 (store1, 10 Jan 2004) 2) 1.0.1 (store1, 20 Jun 2004) 3) 1.0.2 (store1, 15 Jul 2004) Select a version : I know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domivv
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select Distinct on multiple fields

How do I create a script that provides a count of distinct values of a particular field in a file utilizing commonly available UNIX commands (sh or awk)? Field1|Field2|Field3|Field4 AAA|BBB|CCC|DDD 111|222|333|777 AAA|EEE|ZZZ|EEE 111|555|333|444 AAA|EEE|CCC|DDD 111|222|555|444 For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Refresher
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is is possible to pass multiple entries in PS3 select ?

PS3="Enter corresponding number and hit enter:" select DIR in `cat mylist` QUIT do if then echo "INVALID INPUT" else if ; then my commands ..... else break fi fi REPLY='' done The above will return something like below : Select from the list of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting sqlplus from UNIX with multiple select statement

hi, i have a requirement where i need to connect sqlplus from unix and i am able to do so by following command: cust_count=`sqlplus -s $ORACLE_USER/$ORACLE_PASS@$ORACLE_SID << EOF set pagesize 0 set feedback off set verify off ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a multiple line list with the select command in ksh?

I copied the below program to play around with displaying a list of items using the select command in ksh. When I put all items in the same line, it works fine. I am trying to use multiple lines instead of a single row...my list is too large for a single line. How do I get the line continuation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haganator
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate select lines from multiple files

I have about 6000 files of the following format (three simplified examples shown; actual files have variable numbers of columns, but the same number of lines). I would like to concatenate the ID (*Loc*) and data lines, but not the others, as shown below. The result would be one large file (or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select answers from multiple questions using shell script

I have a text file in this format Some lines.... Question no: 1 The question? A. Answer 1 B. Answer 2 C. Answer 3 D. Answer 4 Answer:B Some lines.... Question no: 2 The question? (choose 2) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select multiple column from multiple files

Hi Friends, $ cat test1.txt emeka:1438 shelley:1439 dmeyer:1440 kurtarn:1441 abdul:1442 $ cat test2.txt 1:a 2:b 3:c 4:d $ cat test3.txt cat:dog:bat man:hot:cold (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
TYPES(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  TYPES(5)

NAME
types -- system data types SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> DESCRIPTION
The file sys/types.h contains the defined data types used in the kernel (most are used through out the system). #ifndef _TYPES_H_ #define _TYPES_H_ typedef short dev_t; #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE /* major part of a device */ #define major(x) ((int)(((unsigned)(x)>>8)&0377)) /* minor part of a device */ #define minor(x) ((int)((x)&0377)) /* make a device number */ #define makedev(x,y) ((dev_t)(((x)<<8) | (y))) #endif typedef unsigned char u_char; typedef unsigned short u_short; typedef unsigned int u_int; typedef unsigned long u_long; typedef unsigned short ushort; /* Sys V compatibility */ #include <machine/ansi.h> #if !defined(_ANSI_SOURCE) && !defined(_POSIX_SOURCE) #include <machine/types.h> #endif #ifdef _CLOCK_T_ typedef _CLOCK_T_ clock_t; #undef _CLOCK_T_ #endif #ifdef _SIZE_T_ typedef _SIZE_T_ size_t; #undef _SIZE_T_ #endif #ifdef _TIME_T_ typedef _TIME_T_ time_t; #undef _TIME_T_ #endif #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE typedef struct _uquad { unsigned long val[2]; } u_quad; typedef struct _quad { long val[2]; } quad; #endif typedef long * qaddr_t; /* should be typedef quad * qaddr_t; */ typedef long daddr_t; typedef char * caddr_t; typedef u_long ino_t; typedef long swblk_t; typedef long segsz_t; typedef long off_t; typedef u_short uid_t; typedef u_short gid_t; typedef short pid_t; typedef u_short nlink_t; typedef u_short mode_t; typedef u_long fixpt_t; #ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE #define NBBY 8 /* number of bits in a byte */ /* * Select uses bit masks of file descriptors in longs. These macros * manipulate such bit fields (the filesystem macros use chars). * FD_SETSIZE may be defined by the user, but the default here should * be >= NOFILE (param.h). */ #ifndef FD_SETSIZE #define FD_SETSIZE 1024 #endif typedef long fd_mask; #define NFDBITS (sizeof(fd_mask) * NBBY) /* bits per mask */ #ifndef howmany #define howmany(x, y) (((x)+((y)-1))/(y)) #endif typedef struct fd_set { fd_mask fds_bits[howmany(FD_SETSIZE, NFDBITS)]; } fd_set; #define FD_SET(n, p) ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] |= (1 << ((n) % NFDBITS))) #define FD_CLR(n, p) ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] &= ~(1 << ((n) % NFDBITS))) #define FD_ISSET(n, p) ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] & (1 << ((n) % NFDBITS))) #define FD_ZERO(p) bzero((char *)(p), sizeof(*(p))) #endif /* !_POSIX_SOURCE */ #endif /* !_TYPES_H_ */ SEE ALSO
fs(5), time(3), lseek(2), adb(1) HISTORY
A types file appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. Darwin AUGUST 2, 2001 Darwin