Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: General Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers General Question Post 31749 by LivinFree on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 12:51:11 AM
Old 11-13-2002
In Mandrake, use the command (at the command line of course) "chsh".

In MacOSX, it's a little more complicated...
You have to change it in NetInfo Manager. Go to "Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager" (as an admin), select "/", "users", your user ID. In the bottom pane, select the "shell" attribute, click the lock in the bottom-hand corner and enter the admin password. Edit the shell attribute to point the full path to your shell (/bin/bash is a common one, unless you've installed ksh...).

If you want to be thorough, and use the same shell in single user mode (if you hold down command-s while booting), you have to edit the files /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd. An easy way to do this is with the pico editor using Terminal.app. In the terminal, do:
sudo pico /etc/passwd
and
sudo pico /etc/master.passwd

Find your username, and on the last line, you'll have to change your shell manually from /bin/csh to whatever you want (/bin/bash, etc...). You can use the chsh commandin MacOSX, but it doesn't update both files.

Let me know if you have any questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

General Proxy Question

Firstly I must apologise; I have posted something similar in the "general UNIX newbies" forum; but in reterospect I think that it's more appropriate here. Anyhoo; I am trying to detect whether people accessing one of my servers are coming via a proxied connection. I must add that this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Proxy Question

This is quite a general question: I am trying to detect whether people accessing my network are using a proxy server. This is *not* to ensure that web pages are not cached! The only way that I can think of doing this is to intercept at packet level and examine the source port for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

general question?

Perl, Python, and PHP are these languages easy to use? Are they command line or are they part of a GUI? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executable directory general question

This may be a dumb question (but this is the UNIX for Dummies Q&A forum :) But I'm wondering, what is the purpose of a directory being given execute permissions? I can't execute a directory, only files, right? If I make a directory executable, the files inside still won't execute unless I give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Programming Question

Experience level : New to programming in Linux. Forgive my noobiness in this context with regards to programming, language or grammar. Some Background info : I have seen a lot of programs which I use (Modo and Maya especially) which can use a command line to run the different parts of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snd321
2 Replies

6. Solaris

General question about configuring DHCP on Solaris

Dears, my question is that possible to configure any server to work in solaris zone i mean any server cos i read that DHCP can't be work on solaris zone is that real or not Best Regards Alexander Corvinus (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: corvinusbsd
4 Replies

7. Linux

General compression question

I am looking for an alternate solution other than gzip or bzip2 to compress files that are 3 to 4 GB each and will be hundreds per day. Aside from increasing storage anybody found a good tool? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mykey242
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General question about folder level permissions

How is the level of access on a particular folder determined? I have heard (its just hearsay so am not particularly sure of it) that the access a particular user/group has to a low level directory is also affected by the level of access granted to the user/group on its parent directories. e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

General question about passing variables among shell scripts

So this is something I've been wondering how to do for a while. Suppose I have two shell scripts a.sh and b.sh script a does some function and outputs to a varable $x . I would then like to take $x into the second function, b.sh, and do a function on it and create some output. So how do you pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

10. Programming

General question about learning Python

I am planning on taking a class in Python. My choices are 2.5 or 3.0. Which version should I choose? I am getting the impression they are two separate paths. thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
5 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)