Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zombie program
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers zombie program Post 31690 by Perderabo on Tuesday 12th of November 2002 08:42:53 AM
Old 11-12-2002
Right, state Z means zombie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Zombie Files on a HP-UX

How can you find a zombie file on the system. I have been in the database side of the system to search for Orphan files removed the orphan files, but still got the zombie file. When you run a top command it says there is a zombie process that is running i would like to find it. How can i do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process

How do i kill a zombie process. Is it that only root can kill a zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orca
8 Replies

3. Programming

zombie to exist after the termination of main program..

main() { pid_t child; child=fork(); if(child > 0) {sleep(60); } else {exit(0); } } the above code will create zombie process,which will be adopted by init as soon as parent process will dies.Can any one gimme a code or an alogrithm to keep this zombie proocess alive even after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilchowdhury
6 Replies

4. Linux

zombie process

Hi What is the command to find only the zombie processes?? How to write the code in C to fetch the no. of zombie processes?? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeenat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

6. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is zombie , how to kill it ,

Hello I try to googled it , but I dint get sufficient answer :( .. When I can see zombie running on server do they consume system resources or not ? I have read that is not good to kill them with signal 9 cause it might cause more troubles .. why is kill -9 so harmfull? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

zombie

Hi, Linux redhat 5.5 top shows that i have 20 zombie process : Tasks: 357 total, 1 running, 336 sleeping, 0 stopped, 20 zombie Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 24949400k total, 2363052k used, 22586348k free, 227084k buffers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

10. Programming

Zombie in C

hello all, when we are creating a process by using fork, if the child process terminates before parent, the child process exists as zombie.. My doubt is when that child process terminates, how come that process exists further and show as a zombie process..can anyone help me to clear about this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarathy
1 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join - join with a terminated thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **retval); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function waits for the thread specified by thread to terminate. If that thread has already terminated, then pthread_join() returns immediately. The thread specified by thread must be joinable. If retval is not NULL, then pthread_join() copies the exit status of the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread supplied to pthread_exit(3)) into the location pointed to by *retval. If the target thread was canceled, then PTHREAD_CANCELED is placed in *retval. If multiple threads simultaneously try to join with the same thread, the results are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is canceled, then the target thread will remain joinable (i.e., it will not be detached). RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_join() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EDEADLK A deadlock was detected (e.g., two threads tried to join with each other); or thread specifies the calling thread. EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. EINVAL Another thread is already waiting to join with this thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
After a successful call to pthread_join(), the caller is guaranteed that the target thread has terminated. Joining with a thread that has previously been joined results in undefined behavior. Failure to join with a thread that is joinable (i.e., one that is not detached), produces a "zombie thread". Avoid doing this, since each zombie thread consumes some system resources, and when enough zombie threads have accumulated, it will no longer be possible to create new threads (or processes). There is no pthreads analog of waitpid(-1, &status, 0), that is, "join with any terminated thread". If you believe you need this function- ality, you probably need to rethink your application design. All of the threads in a process are peers: any thread can join with any other thread in the process. EXAMPLE
See pthread_create(3). SEE ALSO
pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_detach(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_tryjoin_np(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-11-27 PTHREAD_JOIN(3)