Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hard disk meltdown
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory hard disk meltdown Post 31269 by Perderabo on Tuesday 5th of November 2002 09:16:41 AM
Old 11-05-2002
Since you attempted a format, I assume that you don't care about the data on the disk. In that case, I certainly would throw it away. The danger is that you might get it working and then store good data on it and then have it break again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk Problem

Does anyone know of any commands that offer the same sort of facilities of scandisk on windows. My Linux server (Mandrake 6.2) keeps crashing and gives hard disk errors when I reboot. I've used fcsk to fix any problems that arise but when I use dumpe2fs to display disk information it says that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DGM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAM, Hard Disk

Hi, I work in a production support environment. All our PROD machines SPARC machines and Solaris O/S. I want to know how to find out what the hard disk size, RAM size etc. of our PROD machines. Please let me know if there is any way to find out this (other than from system administrator). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramaraju
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to format a hard disk

hi, i want to format one hard disk in solaris. can you pls help on this.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can i get hard disk usage

I want to get hard disk usage hard disk usage= already allocated/total allocated first I use ioscan -kfnC disk get disk name c#t#d# then I use diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# but this command can only get total disk size,not disk usage has any command can get that thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

7. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Need Hard Disk Details

Hi freinds, What is the command to find out the hard disk details (logical name, FS type etc,). Because i connected one ntfs partition and i don't know the hard disk logical and physical name to mount it.Kindly do the needful. Thanks | P.Bharathiraja. :mad: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathiraja
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
3 Replies

10. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies
PVCREATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PVCREATE(8)

NAME
pvcreate - initialize a disk or partition for use by LVM SYNOPSIS
pvcreate [-d|--debug] [-f[f]|--force [--force]] [-y|--yes] [-h|--help] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [--labelsector] [-M|--metadatatypetype] [--metadatacopies#copies] [--metadatasizesize] [--restorefilefile] [--setphysicalvolumesizesize] [-u|--uuiduuid] [--version] [-Z|--zeroy|n] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by the Logical Volume Manager (LVM). Each PhysicalVolume can be a disk partition, whole disk, meta device, or loopback file. For DOS disk partitions, the partition id should be set to 0x8e using fdisk(8), cfdisk(8), or a equivalent. For whole disk devices only the partition table must be erased, which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done by zeroing the first sector with: dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1 Continue with vgcreate(8) to create a new volume group on PhysicalVolume, or vgextend(8) to add PhysicalVolume to an existing volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. -f, --force Force the creation without any confirmation. You can not recreate (reinitialize) a physical volume belonging to an existing volume group. In an emergency you can override this behaviour with -ff. -u, --uuid uuid Specify the uuid for the device. Without this option, pvcreate generates a random uuid. All of your physical volumes must have unique uuids. You need to use this option before restoring a backup of LVM metadata onto a replacement device - see vgcfgre- store(8). -y, --yes Answer yes to all questions. -Z, --zero y|n Whether or not the first 4 sectors (2048 bytes) of the device should be wiped. If this option is not given, the default is to wipe these sectors unless either or both of the --restorefile or --uuid options were specified. NEW METADATA OPTIONS
LVM2 introduces a new format for storing metadata on disk. This new format is more efficient and resilient than the format the original version of LVM used and offers the advanced user greater flexibility and control. The new format may be selected on the command line with -M2 or by setting format = "lvm2" in the global section of lvm.conf. Each physical volume in the same volume group must use the same format, but different volume groups on a machine may use different formats simultane- ously: the tools can handle both formats. Additional formats can be added as shared libraries. Additional tools for manipulating the locations and sizes of metadata areas will be written in due course. Use the verbose/debug options on the tools to see where the metadata areas are placed. --metadatasize size The approximate amount of space to be set aside for each metadata area. (The size you specify may get rounded.) --metadatacopies copies The number of metadata areas to set aside on each PV. Currently this can be 0, 1 or 2. If set to 2, two copies of the volume group metadata are held on the PV, one at the front of the PV and one at the end. If set to 1 (the default), one copy is kept at the front of the PV (starting in the 5th sector). If set to 0, no copies are kept on this PV - you might wish to use this with VGs con- taining large numbers of PVs. But if you do this and then later use vgsplit you must ensure that each VG is still going to have a suitable number of copies of the metadata after the split! --restorefile file In conjunction with --uuid, this extracts the location and size of the data on the PV from the file (produced by vgcfgbackup) and ensures that the metadata that the program produces is consistent with the contents of the file i.e. the physical extents will be in the same place and not get overwritten by new metadata. This provides a mechanism to upgrade the metadata format or to add/remove metadata areas. Use with care. See also vgconvert(8). --labelsector sector By default the PV is labelled with an LVM2 identifier in its second sector (sector 1). This lets you use a different sector near the start of the disk (between 0 and 3 inclusive - see LABEL_SCAN_SECTORS in the source). Use with care. --setphysicalvolumesize size Overrides the automatically-detected size of the PV. Use with care. Example Initialize partition #4 on the third SCSI disk and the entire fifth SCSI disk for later use by LVM: pvcreate /dev/sdc4 /dev/sde SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), lvcreate(8), cfdisk(8), fdisk(8), losetup(8), mdadm(8), vgcfgrestore(8), vgconvert(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.44-cvs (02-17-09) PVCREATE(8)