Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hard disk meltdown
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory hard disk meltdown Post 31262 by Henrik on Tuesday 5th of November 2002 07:23:54 AM
Old 11-05-2002
hard disk meltdown

I had an issue with a second hard disk in my machine. I have a sparc station running solaris 7. It was working fine but now it wont mount on boot up and when you try to mount it manually it gives an I/O error. I tried a different disk as a control which was fine. What I want to know is if my corrupt disk is salvagable. When I try to format it (or run a probe-scsi command from the prom monitor prompt) it recognises that a disk exists but none of its detail and so asks me for input regarding the number of cylinders, heads ...etc.Even then it wont format it and gives the following error to the console window. Is there any hope for this disk or is there any way to analyse what caused the problem in the first place.

14:20:10 m1f526 unix: WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/espdma@e,8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@4,0 (sd4): Nov 4 14:20:10 m1f526 Error for Command: load/start/stop Error Level: Retryable Nov 4 14:20:10 m1f526 unix: Requested Block: 0 Error Block: 0 Nov 4 14:20:10 m1f526 unix: Vendor: IBM Serial Number: AK0M8545 Nov 4 14:20:10 m1f526 unix: Sense Key: Not Ready Nov 4 14:20:10 m1f526 unix: ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0 Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 unix: WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/espdma@e,8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@4,0 (sd4): Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 Error for Command: load/start/stop Error Level: Retryable Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 unix: Requested Block: 0 Error Block: 0 Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 unix: Vendor: IBM Serial Number: AK0M8545 Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 unix: Sense Key: Not Ready Nov 4 14:20:15 m1f526 unix: ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0 Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 unix: WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/espdma@e,8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@4,0 (sd4): Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 Error for Command: load/start/stop Error Level: Retryable Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 unix: Requested Block: 0 Error Block: 0 Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 unix: Vendor: IBM Serial Number: AK0M8545 Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 unix: Sense Key: Not Ready Nov 4 14:20:31 m1f526 unix: ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk Problem

Does anyone know of any commands that offer the same sort of facilities of scandisk on windows. My Linux server (Mandrake 6.2) keeps crashing and gives hard disk errors when I reboot. I've used fcsk to fix any problems that arise but when I use dumpe2fs to display disk information it says that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DGM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAM, Hard Disk

Hi, I work in a production support environment. All our PROD machines SPARC machines and Solaris O/S. I want to know how to find out what the hard disk size, RAM size etc. of our PROD machines. Please let me know if there is any way to find out this (other than from system administrator). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramaraju
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to format a hard disk

hi, i want to format one hard disk in solaris. can you pls help on this.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can i get hard disk usage

I want to get hard disk usage hard disk usage= already allocated/total allocated first I use ioscan -kfnC disk get disk name c#t#d# then I use diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# but this command can only get total disk size,not disk usage has any command can get that thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

7. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Need Hard Disk Details

Hi freinds, What is the command to find out the hard disk details (logical name, FS type etc,). Because i connected one ntfs partition and i don't know the hard disk logical and physical name to mount it.Kindly do the needful. Thanks | P.Bharathiraja. :mad: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathiraja
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
3 Replies

10. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies
ssd(7D) 							      Devices								   ssd(7D)

NAME
ssd - Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop disk device driver SYNOPSIS
ssd@port,target:partition DESCRIPTION
The ssd driver supports Fibre Channel disk devices. The specific type of each disk is determined by the SCSI inquiry command and reading the volume label stored on block 0 of the drive. The volume label describes the disk geometry and partitioning; it must be present or the disk cannot be mounted by the system. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. A "raw" interface provides for direct transmission between the disk and the read or write buffer. A single read or write call usu- ally results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore more efficient when many bytes are transmitted. Block file names are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests (such as lseek(2)) to the SCSI disk must have an offset that is a multiple of 512 bytes (DEV_BSIZE), or the driver returns an EINVAL error. If the transfer length is not a multiple of 512 bytes, the transfer count is rounded up by the driver. Partition 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, with partition 1 as a paging area (for example, swap). Partition 2 is used to back up the entire disk. Partition 2 normally maps the entire disk and may also be used as the mount point for secondary disks in the system. The rest of the disk is normally partition 6. For the primary disk, the user file system is located here. The device has associated error statistics. These must include counters for hard errors, soft errors and transport errors. Other data may be implemented as required. DEVICE STATISTICS SUPPORT
The device maintains I/O statistics for the device and for partitions allocated for that device. For each device/partition, the driver accumulates reads, writes, bytes read, and bytes written. The driver also initiates hi-resolution time stamps at queue entry and exit points to enable monitoring of residence time and cumulative residence-length product for each queue. Not all device drivers make per-partition IO statistics available for reporting. ssd and sd(7D) per-partition statistics are enabled by default but may be disabled in their configuration files. IOCTLS
Refer to dkio(7I). ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBUSY The partition was opened exclusively by another thread. EFAULT The argument was a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO An I/O error occurred. ENOTTY The device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO When returned during open(2), this error indicates the device does not exist. EROFS The device is a read-only device. CONFIGURATION
You configure the ssd driver by defining properties in the ssd.conf file. The ssd driver supports the following properties: enable-partition-kstats The default value is 1, which causes partition IO statistics to be maintained. Set this value to zero to prevent the driver from recording partition statistics. This slightly reduces the CPU overhead for IO, mimimizes the amount of sar(1) data collected and makes these statistics unavailable for reporting by iostat(1M) even though the -p/-P option is specified. Regardless of this setting, disk IO statistics are always maintained. FILES
ssd.conf Driver configuration file /dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw files cn is the controller number on the system. tn 7-bit disk loop identifier, such as switch setting dn SCSI lun n sn partition n (0-7) SEE ALSO
sar(1), format(1M), iostat(1M), ioctl(2), lseek(2), open(2), read(2), write(2), driver.conf(4), cdio(7I), dkio(7I) ANSI Small Computer System Interface-2 (SCSI-2) ANSI X3.272-1996, Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) Fibre Channel - Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) DIAGNOSTICS
Error for command '<command name>' Error Level: Fatal Requested Block <n>, Error Block: <m>, Sense Key: <sense key name>, Vendor '<vendor name>': ASC = 0x<a> (<ASC name>), ASCQ = 0x<b>, FRU = 0x<c> The command indicated by <command name> failed. The Requested Block is the block where the transfer started and the Error Block is the block that caused the error. Sense Key, ASC, and ASCQ information is returned by the target in response to a request sense command. Check Condition on REQUEST SENSE A REQUEST SENSE command completed with a check condition. The original command will be retried a number of times. Label says <m> blocks Drive says <n> blocks There is a discrepancy between the label and what the drive returned on the READ CAPACITY command. Not enough sense information The request sense data was less than expected. Request Sense couldn't get sense data The REQUEST SENSE command did not transfer any data. Reservation Conflict The drive was reserved by another initiator. SCSI transport failed: reason 'xxxx' : {retrying|giving up} The host adapter has failed to transport a command to the target for the reason stated. The driver will either retry the command or, ulti- mately, give up. Unhandled Sense Key <n> The REQUEST SENSE data included an invalid sense key. Unit not Ready. Additional sense code 0x<n> The drive is not ready. corrupt label - bad geometry The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - label checksum failed The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - wrong magic number The disk label is corrupted. device busy too long The drive returned busy during a number of retries. disk not responding to selection The drive was probably powered down or died. i/o to invalid geometry The geometry of the drive could not be established. incomplete read/write - retrying/giving up There was a residue after the command completed normally. logical unit not ready The drive is not ready. no bp for disk label A bp with consistent memory could not be allocated. no mem for property Free memory pool exhausted. no memory for disk label Free memory pool exhausted. no resources for dumping A packet could not be allocated during dumping. offline Drive went offline; probably powered down. requeue of command fails<n> Driver attempted to retry a command and experienced a transport error. ssdrestart transport failed <n> Driver attempted to retry a command and experienced a transport error. transfer length not modulo <n> Illegal request size. transport rejected <n> Host adapter driver was unable to accept a command. unable to read label Failure to read disk label. unit does not respond to selection Drive went offline; probably powered down. SunOS 5.10 30 May 2003 ssd(7D)