Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help Post 3125 by WillUK on Saturday 23rd of June 2001 03:25:36 PM
Old 06-23-2001
Java Help

Dear All,

I've recently 'inherited' an old UNIX server from a company I do part time work for.

I know nothing of UNIX, or this machine unfortunately, so please bear with me, if this is in the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

Anyway, as far as I know, the machine is a UNISYS U 6000/500 Model 50. Serial # 303037793 (the handwriting on the delivery note is a little tatty)

I think it was built in or around 1994. I have some form of original configuaration pamphlet with it, so I'll post any relevant information I can see here:

3.5" 1.44meg FDD
UN6000-DAT
UN6000-Q15
UN6000-CDI
UN6003-1G3
UN6003-2G3
UN6003-2G3

On original manufacture, it says that it was fitted with 128meg of SIMMS RAM. It's a dual processor machine (twin P-90MHz).

EISA Slot E1: VGA board.

Says in this spec that it has three SCSI HDD's, one 1GB, and two 2GB drives.

That's about all I know about it, sorry if it's shadey. But as I said, I know nothing of UNIX systems, so that's about the best I can do.

I've had it boot up. It gets to a login screen thus far, but as I know nothing of the machine, I can't go into any further details.

If anyone could shed any further light on this model, whether you know anywhere where I could get rid of it possibly? I have no use with it, which is a shame, so I'd like it go to someone who might actually use it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Will Vale-Onslow

(Based in Birmingham, England)

savetextmode(1)                                                 Svgalib User Manual                                                savetextmode(1)

NAME
savetextmode, textmode - save or restore the complete SVGA status for textmode. SYNOPSIS
savetextmode textmode DESCRIPTION
These are simple scripts to save the SVGA register state when in textmode to the files /etc/vga/fontdata and /etc/vga/textregs ($HOME/.vga/fontdata and $HOME/.vga/textregs if directory /etc/vga is not writeable) or to restore it from these files. The actual utilities used are restorefont(1), restoretextmode(1), and restorepalette(1). The purpose of these scripts program is usually to recover from a crashed console due to an svgalib, Xfree or other program bug. You do this by being a smart guy and running savetextmode right after booting of your machine, prior to any problems. Then, in case the SVGA state is hosed and you sit in front of a blank or useless console, change VC (maybe login) to get to a shell. Or exist the currently running program with <Ctrl>-C, <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Backspace>, or whatever applies. Once you got a shell, run textmode and it will hopefully ren- der your console useable again. To make it clear: You do all this while not seeing anything on your console screen, you enter this information blindly or after logging in from a network. Also, if the keyboard is left in raw mode, nothing can really help you as you cannot enter anything which a shell will understand. FILES
/etc/vga/fontdata or $HOME/.vga/fontdata /etc/vga/textregs or $HOME/.vga/textregs SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), dumpreg(1), convfont(1), fix132x43(1), restorefont(1), restoretextmode(1), restorepalette(1), runx(1), setmclk(1), AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced utility as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 2 Aug 1997 savetextmode(1)