Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help Post 3125 by WillUK on Saturday 23rd of June 2001 03:25:36 PM
Old 06-23-2001
Java Help

Dear All,

I've recently 'inherited' an old UNIX server from a company I do part time work for.

I know nothing of UNIX, or this machine unfortunately, so please bear with me, if this is in the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

Anyway, as far as I know, the machine is a UNISYS U 6000/500 Model 50. Serial # 303037793 (the handwriting on the delivery note is a little tatty)

I think it was built in or around 1994. I have some form of original configuaration pamphlet with it, so I'll post any relevant information I can see here:

3.5" 1.44meg FDD
UN6000-DAT
UN6000-Q15
UN6000-CDI
UN6003-1G3
UN6003-2G3
UN6003-2G3

On original manufacture, it says that it was fitted with 128meg of SIMMS RAM. It's a dual processor machine (twin P-90MHz).

EISA Slot E1: VGA board.

Says in this spec that it has three SCSI HDD's, one 1GB, and two 2GB drives.

That's about all I know about it, sorry if it's shadey. But as I said, I know nothing of UNIX systems, so that's about the best I can do.

I've had it boot up. It gets to a login screen thus far, but as I know nothing of the machine, I can't go into any further details.

If anyone could shed any further light on this model, whether you know anywhere where I could get rid of it possibly? I have no use with it, which is a shame, so I'd like it go to someone who might actually use it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Will Vale-Onslow

(Based in Birmingham, England)

SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)