Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if argument passed is an integers Post 31229 by Vishnu on Monday 4th of November 2002 03:12:41 PM
Old 11-04-2002
replace your checkinput() func with this...

Code:
checkinput() 
{ 

echo $1 | grep '^(\+|-)?[0-9]+$'

return $?

}

you may find this helpful...

[\?&]value= A URL parameter value in a URL.

[A-Z]Smilie\\[A-Z0-9_]+)+ An uppercase DOS/Windows full path that (a) is not the root of a drive, and (b) has only letters, numbers, and underscores in its text.

[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]* A ColdFusion variable with no qualifier.

([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)(\.[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)? A ColdFusion variable with no more than one qualifier; for example, Form.VarName, but not Form.Image.VarName.

(\+|-)?[1-9][0-9]* An integer that does not begin with a zero and has an optional sign.

(\+|-)?[1-9][0-9]*(\.[0-9]*)? A real number.

(\+|-)?[1-9]\.[0-9]*E(\+|-)?[0-9]+ A real number in engineering notation.

a{2,4} Two to four occurrences of "a": aa, aaa, aaaa.

(ba){3,} At least three "ba" pairs: bababa, babababa, and so on..

Cheers!
Vishnu.

Last edited by Vishnu; 11-04-2002 at 04:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print all argument passed

like i have script with which i have passed arg list :eg: i/p: scriopt1 arg1 arg2 arg3 .... argn o/p: arg1 arg2 arg3 .... argn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check that passed parameters all have the same extension?

$ ls monkey.txt banana.csv tree.txt $ myscript monkey.txt tree.txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript *txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript monkey.txt banana.csv All extensions are NOT alike. $ myscript * All extensions are NOT alike. My brain has given up; what's the simplest... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File not recognized when passed as argument

I have the below script in file read_file.ksh if ] || ] then echo "Required one input file" echo "Enter a file to get char count:" read $FILE_NAME if ] then echo "valid file" else echo "Not a valid file." fi When run as read_file.ksh detail.csv or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if passed arguments is users

i want to check passed arguments one by one and if it is user print home director of that user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: testman84
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ftp files passed in command line argument

i want to write a shell script function that will ftp the files passed in the command line . i have written a shell script for ftp but how will it do for all files passed in command line argument , i am passing 4 files as argument ./ftp.sh file1 file2 file3 file4 code written by me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that check the argument passed to it and prints error if test condition is not met

I want to make a script that check for the argument passed to it and generates an error in case any character/string argument passed to it. I am using below code, but its not working. can anyone help. #!/bin/bash if ]; then echo 'An integer argument is passed to the script hence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable passed as argument

I have a script. #!/bin/sh cur_$1_modify_time=Hello echo "cur_$1_modify_time" When I run like sh /root/script1 jj I expect value "Hello" being assigned to variable "cur_jj_modify_time" and output being "Hello" ie echoing $cur_jj_modify_time But the output comes as # sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Read a json file passed as cmd line argument

usage: myscript.sh config.json config.json: { "HOST":"abc", "DB_NM":"xyz", "USR_NM":"asd", "PWD":"xxx", ......... ......... ......... ........ } myscript.sh: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RGRT
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting number of argument passed to a shell script

Hi Experts, I have been trying to work on a simple shell script that will just add the two argument passed to it. Here is what i tried : #!/bin/bash welcome(){ echo "Welcome to this Progg. which will accept two parameter" } main_logic(){ arg=$# echo "Number of argument passed is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies
xdr_simple(3N)															    xdr_simple(3N)

NAME
xdr_simple, xdr_bool, xdr_char, xdr_double, xdr_enum, xdr_float, xdr_free, xdr_hyper, xdr_int, xdr_long, xdr_longlong_t, xdr_quadruple, xdr_short, xdr_u_char, xdr_u_hyper, xdr_u_int, xdr_u_long, xdr_u_longlong_t, xdr_u_short, xdr_void - library routines for external data representation SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
XDR library routines allow C programmers to describe simple data structures in a machine-independent fashion. Protocols such as remote procedure calls (RPC) use these routines to describe the format of the data. These routines require the creation of XDR streams (see xdr_create(3N)). Routines See rpc(3N) for the definition of the data structure. Note that any buffers passed to the XDR routines must be properly aligned. It is suggested that malloc(3C) be used to allocate these buffers or that the programmer insure that the buffer address is divisible evenly by four. translates between booleans (C integers) and their external representations. When encoding data, this filter produces values of either or This routine returns if it suc- ceeds, otherwise. translates between C characters and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. Note: encoded characters are not packed, and occupy 4 bytes each. For arrays of characters, it is worthwhile to consider or (see xdr_complex(3N)). translates between C precision numbers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C (actually integers) and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. Generic freeing routine. The first argument is the XDR routine for the object being freed. The second argument is a pointer to the object itself. Note: the pointer passed to this routine is not freed, but what it points to is freed (recursively, depending on the XDR routine). translates between ANSI C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between ANSI C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. This routine is identical to translates between IEEE quadruple precision floating point numbers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C characters and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between unsigned ANSI C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. A filter primitive that translates between a C integer and its external representation. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. translates between unsigned ANSI C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. This routine is identical to translates between C integers and their external representations. This routine returns if it succeeds, otherwise. This routine always returns It may be passed to RPC routines that require a function parameter, where nothing is to be done. MULTITHREAD USAGE
Thread Safe: Yes Cancel Safe: Yes Fork Safe: No Async-cancel Safe: No Async-signal Safe: No These functions can be called safely in a multithreaded environment. They may be cancellation points in that they call functions that are cancel points. In a multithreaded environment, these functions are not safe to be called by a child process after and before These functions should not be called by a multithreaded application that support asynchronous cancellation or asynchronous signals. SEE ALSO
malloc(3C), rpc(3N), xdr_admin(3N), xdr_complex(3N), xdr_create(3N). xdr_simple(3N)