Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about times and so
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about times and so Post 31096 by TheBlueLady on Friday 1st of November 2002 02:59:01 AM
Old 11-01-2002
Error Question about times and so

I've got an logfile like:

Start dump db_name1 : Wed Oct 30 15:08:47 MET 2002
Ready dump db_name1 : Wed Oct 30 15:14:46 MET 2002

Start dump db_name2 : Wed Oct 30 15:14:46 MET 2002
Ready dump db_name2 : Wed Oct 30 15:15:36 MET 2002

Start dump db_name3 : Wed Oct 30 15:15:36 MET 2002
Ready dump db_name3 : Wed Oct 30 15:17:00 MET 2002

What I want to do is make a file which looks as follows:
db_name1 db_name2 db_name3
Oct 30 5:99 0:50 1:24 <- duration of dump

So that everytime I dump the databases a line is added in the file.
How can I do this ? With AWK ? or something else.
Especially how can I subtract the times ?
I hope that somebody can help me. Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executes many times

The code prints many times, "1st loop" and "2nd loop". How can I come out the if the condition is matched. Match should be only once and it should come out of the loop if the match is found time=$(date +"%H:%M:%S") echo $time while : do if then echo "1st loop" fi if then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

grep for x for m times ',\{11\}'

All: OS version HP-UX ga016a501 B.11.31 U ia64 from the command prompt -grep for 1 to 11 occurences of "," returns both rows from the command prompt -grep for 11 occurences of "," returns 0 rows - should be 1 row. Any ideas - why? ga016a501 -> grep ',\{1,11\}' test3 | more ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill L.
7 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

ssh times out

I have fedora 13 installed on my home computer. I am unable to ssh from my office to my home computer. On trying to ssh to my home computer, I get the following response: $ ssh -vvv username@129.X.XXX.XXX OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a-fips 1 Jun 2010 debug1: Reading configuration data... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arbitguy
6 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get difference between 2 times.

Can anyone help me to write a script to get diffrence between 2 times. (platform- solaris) i.e., Diffence shoud be displayed in tems of hours. (Approximately) for eg: file1 = 05-Apr-2012 13:42:32 file2 = 04-Apr-2012 12:42:41 O/P is like : diff = 25 Hrs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Welcome in these 1337 times

Have you noticed that the Unix time right now starts with the combination "1337"? 1337 times indeed. ;-)) bakunin (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies
DUMP(1M)																  DUMP(1M)

NAME
dump - incremental file system dump SYNOPSIS
dump [ key [ argument ... ] filesystem ] DESCRIPTION
Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a certain date in the filesystem. The key specifies the date and other options about the dump. Key consists of characters from the set 0123456789fusd. f Place the dump on the next argument file instead of the tape. u If the dump completes successfully, write the date of the beginning of the dump on file `/etc/ddate'. This file records a separate date for each filesystem and each dump level. 0-9 This number is the `dump level'. All files modified since the last date stored in the file `/etc/ddate' for the same filesystem at lesser levels will be dumped. If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed; thus the option 0 causes the entire filesystem to be dumped. s The size of the dump tape is specified in feet. The number of feet is taken from the next argument. When the specified size is reached, the dump will wait for reels to be changed. The default size is 2300 feet. d The density of the tape, expressed in BPI, is taken from the next argument. This is used in calculating the amount of tape used per write. The default is 1600. If no arguments are given, the key is assumed to be 9u and a default file system is dumped to the default tape. Now a short suggestion on how perform dumps. Start with a full level 0 dump dump 0u Next, periodic level 9 dumps should be made on an exponential progression of tapes. (Sometimes called Tower of Hanoi - 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 4 ... tape 1 used every other time, tape 2 used every fourth, tape 3 used every eighth, etc.) dump 9u When the level 9 incremental approaches a full tape (about 78000 blocks at 1600 BPI blocked 20), a level 1 dump should be made. dump 1u After this, the exponential series should progress as uninterrupted. These level 9 dumps are based on the level 1 dump which is based on the level 0 full dump. This progression of levels of dump can be carried as far as desired. FILES
default filesystem and tape vary with installation. /etc/ddate: record dump dates of filesystem/level. SEE ALSO
restor(1), dump(5), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the dump requires more than one tape, it will ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when this has been done. BUGS
Sizes are based on 1600 BPI blocked tape. The raw magtape device has to be used to approach these densities. Read errors on the filesys- tem are ignored. Write errors on the magtape are usually fatal. DUMP(1M)