Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers edit /etc/hosts to show mypc in who Post 30899 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 29th of October 2002 10:35:16 AM
Old 10-29-2002
Before we can really help, you need to post the OS version you are using. Thanks. Now to troubleshoot!

First, is mypc your actual host or a remote box? I am guessing that it is a remote WIN PC since you call it mypc or it is a linux box that is a PC.

Second, you are going will need to tell us why you changed it in the first place. Did you only have the IP address with NO hostname defined in /etc/hosts before? I know you said "so I can see it when I do a who command", but that seems like a strange reason to mess up your system?

Third, do you know the correct syntax for your OS version?

What did you get before when you typed a "uname -a"?

I would suggest changing it back to how it was before and always remember to make a backup copy of files that are system critical before editing them!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

hello dear all , i use both sun solaries 7 and linux red hat 6.1 and i added my pc IP address in /etc/hosts . How do i refresh this file in order to make my new ip active ?? without restart . Thanks all (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

etc/hosts or something else??

I was wondering where in UNIX is file where I can delete hosts that can or ca not access UNIX machine thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help: Script to edit the hosts, network and eth0 file

Hello all :) I am new to scripting. I need somebody to help me write a script that can edit the files. For eg: if i say ./script <ipadd> <hostname> then it should change the ipaddress and hostname in the following files: 1. /etc/hosts 2. /etc/sysconfig/network 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaikjaveed
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Hello, where can I get complete specification for /etc/hosts? I found a lot of snippets but nothing where the format of file is completely written (I'm especially interested in comments in /etc/hosts) Thank you for help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Ive change /etc/hosts many times but it reverts to the previous setting automatically. Ive restarted the server after the edit. Any ideas what im doing wrong Previous /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost # Auto-generated hostname. Please do not remove this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wizecho
3 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plus edit and edit header

Dear Masters, i have a problem with unix script, till now i just know about how to create header. i want to change file below -63395.2 72653.5 -63361.3 72696.0 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipatah
9 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
binlog.auth(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    binlog.auth(4)

NAME
binlog.auth - authorization file for accepting remote binlog messages SYNOPSIS
# format: Each fully qualified host name on a separate line hostname.domain_name DESCRIPTION
The /etc/binlog.auth file specifies which remote hosts are allowed to forward binlog messages to the local host. For the sake of security, only messages coming from remote hosts listed in the local /etc/binlog.auth file will be logged by the binlogd daemon. Each remote host name should appear in a separate line in /etc/binlog.auth. A line started with the # character is considered as a comment and is thus ignored. A host name must be a complete domain name such as trout.zk3.dec.com. If a domain host name is given, it must either appear in the local /etc/hosts file or be able to be resolved by the name server. Note that a host name can have at most as many characters as defined by the MAXHOSTNAMELEN constant in <sys/param.h>, although each line in the /etc/binlog.auth file can have up to 512 characters. The /etc/binlog.auth file must be owned by root and has a permission of 0600. If the /etc/binlog.auth file does not exist or it exists but is empty or has no valid remote host names in it, the system will assume no remote host is allowed to forward binlog messages to the local host. To invoke a new version of the /etc/binlog.auth file, run the following command (as the super user) to re-initialize the binlogd daemon: kill -HUP `cat /var/run/binlogd.pid` EXAMPLES
The following example provides a typical authorization file: # format: Each fully qualified host name on a separate line c3poid.rvo.dec.com r2d2id.ckt.dec.com FILES
Location of the authorization file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: binlogd(8) System Administration delim off binlog.auth(4)