Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Repeat a command in a shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Repeat a command in a shell Post 30872 by scotty on Tuesday 29th of October 2002 06:09:55 AM
Old 10-29-2002
Repeat a command in a shell

Hi there,

i would like to repeat a command in a shell sript (bash)

the script starts with a menu to choose a menu point to do something ....

on the end of the script i would like to restart the programm to choose the menu points on the beginning.

I would also make a sript that send every 3-4 minutes a simple command (e.g. df -k ore date ....) to avert a disconnet.

pls help.

thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat previous unix command

Hi all, Is there a way to bring back the previous unix command without retyping? I tried the "arror up" key, and it seems not working (sun solaris). What is the correct way? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syang68
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat function in shell script

Hi all, I want to use the wget command to download a file from a webpage and if just in case the file is empty the script should repeat the wget command. something like this wget -q -O - http://www.someurl.something > /tmp/file if ] ; then echo "$FILE has data." (Continue rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command

Is there a way to repeat the output of the last command for filtering without running the command again? All I could think of was to copy all the data to a text file and process it that way, is there another way? Like say I want to grep server.server.lan from a dtrace that was pages long after I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command on linux without typing

Hi, I would like to run the clear command, for every 10 times I hit the enter button. Is there a way to track the number of times the enter button is hit and run the clear command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat command with new variable for each line in txt file

Well here is my question. Let's say I have this Script: find /var/mobile/ maxdepth -2 name "$x" >> /"$x".txt The thing is I want to repeat this script and pull out a variable from a text file like this (each line = new variable $x and another run of the whole command) Thanks for... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
27 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command for one sec

How to repeat the execution of a simple command like the following for 1 sec ? echo Hi The completion time for the command is not known, but we need to calculate the number of times this commans executes successfully within 1 sec. Thanks Kumarjit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

9. Programming

Java: Repeat a command

I came across a site to learn java and they give you practice problems to do. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this since I am totally new to Java. Here is the first problem: Write a program that will read in a name from the command line and write it out 100 times. Thank you for any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Repeat history command?

Assume i have typed 4 commands in the past like vi `ls -t |head -n 1` tail -2 test.txt ls -lrt | grep "/etc/profile.d" pwd Now if i type r p it should execute the command "pwd" likewise r t should execute tail -2 test.txt. Note: esc k and using up arrow and down arrow will get this work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramanareddygv
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)