Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers edit /etc/hosts to show mypc in who Post 30864 by yls177 on Tuesday 29th of October 2002 01:26:32 AM
Old 10-29-2002
edit /etc/hosts to show mypc in who

have edit the /etc/hosts as belows

123.45.12.55 mypc

so when i do a who, i can see my "mypc" BUT after i changed, i cant see "mypc"

do i have to restart anything?
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

hello dear all , i use both sun solaries 7 and linux red hat 6.1 and i added my pc IP address in /etc/hosts . How do i refresh this file in order to make my new ip active ?? without restart . Thanks all (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

etc/hosts or something else??

I was wondering where in UNIX is file where I can delete hosts that can or ca not access UNIX machine thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help: Script to edit the hosts, network and eth0 file

Hello all :) I am new to scripting. I need somebody to help me write a script that can edit the files. For eg: if i say ./script <ipadd> <hostname> then it should change the ipaddress and hostname in the following files: 1. /etc/hosts 2. /etc/sysconfig/network 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaikjaveed
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Hello, where can I get complete specification for /etc/hosts? I found a lot of snippets but nothing where the format of file is completely written (I'm especially interested in comments in /etc/hosts) Thank you for help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts

Ive change /etc/hosts many times but it reverts to the previous setting automatically. Ive restarted the server after the edit. Any ideas what im doing wrong Previous /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost # Auto-generated hostname. Please do not remove this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wizecho
3 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plus edit and edit header

Dear Masters, i have a problem with unix script, till now i just know about how to create header. i want to change file below -63395.2 72653.5 -63361.3 72696.0 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipatah
9 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)