Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions mapping FTP site as local drive Post 30751 by auswipe on Sunday 27th of October 2002 01:26:45 AM
Old 10-27-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by cerberusofhate

Physical access, while not impossible, would first result in loss of
My argument stands firm. You just confirmed that it is not impossible, even though highly improbable.

Quote:

the server room. I may be paranoid, but to think that an employee who has U.S. government level security clearance would risk their job, their liberty, and their asses to own a win98 machine, or to steal their password, or to even root one of the Linux servers, that is going a bit far. I would consider the risk if it was civilians with nothing to lose, and we didnt prosecute, but our employees know better, with the type of info that we deal with.
Why did John Walker turn over comm codes to Ivan? He passed the same background check that I did, and he wasn't a civilian at the time.

Quote:

As for the insecure win98 machine, yet again, it has *NO* ports open, so how the hell is someone going to cause a buffer overflow on a machine with no open ports. TCP/IP attacks, maybe, but like I said, the only system that can communicate with the 98 box is the FTP server. Not even the proxy is allowed to communicate to the win98 machine, as they have no need for surfing the net and what-not.
So you have a Windows 98 machine whose only purprose in life is to contact a FTP server. Just out of curiosity, why isn't Win2000 an option?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

percentage sign in a drive mapping ?

Good day all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the percentage sign is and does in mapping a drive to a server ? I provided the example for you. (ie \\server1\share%simon) thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenSolaris 2008.11 Hard Drive Device mapping

Dear Solaris Experts, I am a bit confused about OpenSolaris Hard Drive device mapping. On RedHat Linux based system, an IDE on first channel master drive is mapped as /dev/hda, first channel slave drive will be /dev/hdb, etc. For (Open)Solaris systems I found it as /dev/rdsk/c3d0p0 : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a text file in Local Drive

Hi All, I am new in Shell Script. I have a ksh script running in the Unix Server and basically in that script I need to create a text file but the text file has to be generated in the local PC (the user computer such as in C:\ drive). I have no idea on how to do it and I need it pretty urgently.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yramli
2 Replies

4. Web Development

Creating a blog site on a local computer

Hello! I would like to create a blog website on a web domain of mine. The blog will be used for publishing economics-lated articles. I tried to use a few open source packages for blog creation (WorldPress, b2evolution, Movable type) which I wanted to test on a local computer before arranging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: degoor
5 Replies

5. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

drive mapping

What is the eqiuvalent of /dev/dsk/rdsk in linux vs Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
1 Replies

8. Debian

How to install package from local hard drive?

Hello, I want to install a .deb package which I already have on the hard drive. I have tried to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the file but apt-get says it can't find it. The package is not in the Debian repository. Debian 6.0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mapping drive

please forgive me. i know this is unix forum. CIFS can map to shared windows folder. i just wonder if windows can map to unix shared folder. if yes, please enlight me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
5 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)