Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions mapping FTP site as local drive Post 30667 by cerberusofhate on Friday 25th of October 2002 12:54:26 AM
Old 10-25-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by LivinFree
smbd/nmbd take, from experience, very little resource on the machine.

And "0-day" exploits is a weak excuse not to use specific software - that type of threat can affect any piece of software ever created... If you're so worried about 0-day security holes, don't let strangers on your damn network!

Search for ftp exploits, then for Samba-specific exploits - see which you find more of... Cripes, wu-ftpd is the cause of half of them, but nearly all implementations have had problems at one point of another.
First of all, I would never use wu-ftpd, only half-witted morons use that daemon, I use Pro-FTPD. Secondly, like I said this is a high risk network, but the information being copied to the FTP server and forth is encrypted (encrypted before being sent, and after), so it doesn't matter if they can get the passwords (which would require rooting one of the servers, which is damn near impossible). Thirdly, not letting users on the network is not an option, thats plain and simple. Fourthly, Samba is still in its infant stage in my opinion, it has had nowhere as many code audits as Apache or Pro-FTPD. I don't trust it. For those of you that would just tell me to shut the hell up about the users/security, I can't take the risk with this kind of data being transferred. I can't say what it is, but I can assure you that its important enough to encrypt it on the server, and store all decryption keys on cd-rws. I forgot to mention though, sniffing is impossible because the network is switched. In order to sniff the passwords, they would already have to have root on the FTP server, which is redundant as hell, because then they could just copy the damn files. And finally, you are correct, 0-day exploits happen all the time. Thus, running less services lessens the propability that there will be a 0-day exploit for the few services that we do run, in which one or more hosts will be comprimised before a patch is available. Its all about statistics, and thats how I sleep at night. Oh yeah, commercial solutions are unacceptable, looks like the user is just going to have to deal with copying the files manually.
cerberusofhate

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

percentage sign in a drive mapping ?

Good day all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the percentage sign is and does in mapping a drive to a server ? I provided the example for you. (ie \\server1\share%simon) thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenSolaris 2008.11 Hard Drive Device mapping

Dear Solaris Experts, I am a bit confused about OpenSolaris Hard Drive device mapping. On RedHat Linux based system, an IDE on first channel master drive is mapped as /dev/hda, first channel slave drive will be /dev/hdb, etc. For (Open)Solaris systems I found it as /dev/rdsk/c3d0p0 : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a text file in Local Drive

Hi All, I am new in Shell Script. I have a ksh script running in the Unix Server and basically in that script I need to create a text file but the text file has to be generated in the local PC (the user computer such as in C:\ drive). I have no idea on how to do it and I need it pretty urgently.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yramli
2 Replies

4. Web Development

Creating a blog site on a local computer

Hello! I would like to create a blog website on a web domain of mine. The blog will be used for publishing economics-lated articles. I tried to use a few open source packages for blog creation (WorldPress, b2evolution, Movable type) which I wanted to test on a local computer before arranging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: degoor
5 Replies

5. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

drive mapping

What is the eqiuvalent of /dev/dsk/rdsk in linux vs Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
1 Replies

8. Debian

How to install package from local hard drive?

Hello, I want to install a .deb package which I already have on the hard drive. I have tried to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the file but apt-get says it can't find it. The package is not in the Debian repository. Debian 6.0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mapping drive

please forgive me. i know this is unix forum. CIFS can map to shared windows folder. i just wonder if windows can map to unix shared folder. if yes, please enlight me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
5 Replies
SWAT(8) 						    System Administration tools 						   SWAT(8)

NAME
swat - Samba Web Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
swat [-s <smb config file>] [-a] [-P] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. swat allows a Samba administrator to configure the complex smb.conf(5) file via a Web browser. In addition, a swat configuration page has help links to all the configurable options in the smb.conf file allowing an administrator to easily look up the effects of any change. swat is run from inetd OPTIONS
-s smb configuration file The default configuration file path is determined at compile time. The file specified contains the configuration details required by the smbd(8) server. This is the file that swat will modify. The information in this file includes server-specific information such as what printcap file to use, as well as descriptions of all the services that the server is to provide. See smb.conf for more information. -a This option disables authentication and places swat in demo mode. In that mode anyone will be able to modify the smb.conf file. WARNING: Do NOT enable this option on a production server. -P This option restricts read-only users to the password management page. swat can then be used to change user passwords without users seeing the "View" and "Status" menu buttons. -d|--debuglevel=level level is an integer from 0 to 10. The default value if this parameter is not specified is 0. The higher this value, the more detail will be logged to the log files about the activities of the server. At level 0, only critical errors and serious warnings will be logged. Level 1 is a reasonable level for day-to-day running - it generates a small amount of information about operations carried out. Levels above 1 will generate considerable amounts of log data, and should only be used when investigating a problem. Levels above 3 are designed for use only by developers and generate HUGE amounts of log data, most of which is extremely cryptic. Note that specifying this parameter here will override the smb.conf.5.html# parameter in the smb.conf file. -V|--version Prints the program version number. -s|--configfile <configuration file> The file specified contains the configuration details required by the server. The information in this file includes server-specific information such as what printcap file to use, as well as descriptions of all the services that the server is to provide. See smb.conf for more information. The default configuration file name is determined at compile time. -l|--log-basename=logdirectory Base directory name for log/debug files. The extension ".progname" will be appended (e.g. log.smbclient, log.smbd, etc...). The log file is never removed by the client. -h|--help Print a summary of command line options. INSTALLATION
Swat is included as binary package with most distributions. The package manager in this case takes care of the installation and configuration. This section is only for those who have compiled swat from scratch. After you compile SWAT you need to run make install to install the swat binary and the various help files and images. A default install would put these in: o /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat o /usr/local/samba/swat/images/* o /usr/local/samba/swat/help/* Inetd Installation You need to edit your /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services to enable SWAT to be launched via inetd. In /etc/services you need to add a line like this: swat 901/tcp Note for NIS/YP and LDAP users - you may need to rebuild the NIS service maps rather than alter your local /etc/services file. the choice of port number isn't really important except that it should be less than 1024 and not currently used (using a number above 1024 presents an obscure security hole depending on the implementation details of your inetd daemon). In /etc/inetd.conf you should add a line like this: swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat Once you have edited /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf you need to send a HUP signal to inetd. To do this use kill -1 PID where PID is the process ID of the inetd daemon. LAUNCHING
To launch SWAT just run your favorite web browser and point it at "http://localhost:901/". Note that you can attach to SWAT from any IP connected machine but connecting from a remote machine leaves your connection open to password sniffing as passwords will be sent in the clear over the wire. FILES
/etc/inetd.conf This file must contain suitable startup information for the meta-daemon. /etc/services This file must contain a mapping of service name (e.g., swat) to service port (e.g., 901) and protocol type (e.g., tcp). /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf This is the default location of the smb.conf(5) server configuration file that swat edits. Other common places that systems install this file are /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf and /etc/smb.conf . This file describes all the services the server is to make available to clients. WARNINGS
swat will rewrite your smb.conf(5) file. It will rearrange the entries and delete all comments, include= and copy= options. If you have a carefully crafted smb.conf then back it up or don't use swat! VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
inetd(5), smbd(8), smb.conf(5) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SWAT(8)