Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories Post 30646 by Vishnu on Thursday 24th of October 2002 05:29:43 PM
Old 10-24-2002
I'm a no administrator (though I'm trying to become one), but I too have a snippet to share...

Right from my college days I was exposed to UNIX systems and even if I was not from comp sci background was attracted to the philosophy of the system as thought of by its designers - Thompson, Ritchi, McIlroy and all...

So when I went to my first job in a consulting company.. I found an atmosphere where my European client had a production and test UNIX boxes which were connected to IBM SNA / CPI-CC to his SAP R/2 production system. I was very happy that I can make use of my UNIX skills. Yes indeed my first assignment was to write automation shell scripts which post/extract EDI messages to/from SAP - UNIX. These scripts used to call C programs using CPI-C interface.

I also learned CPI-C programming, which involves writing your own C code including the CPI-C interface headers and sources - in all there were 8 .C sources and 4 headers, requiring makefiles to do the compilation. There were production C executables doing daily updates and extracts to SAP.

One day I was making some compilation on the test box, while I was monitoring the production box as a privileged user in another terminal. I inadvertently executed a makefile with the same name on the production box which luckily didn't overwrite any existing executable. But my heart stopped thumping, as I had no idea what the script did.. but I had to spend extra hours that day reading the whole script checking for paths and date/time of modifications...

from that day on I was extra careful ascertaining which terminal I'm using for prod/test boxes...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp: really tired, guru help needed...

Hello all! Please help me with the following complex regexp which works in egrep: egrep '\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"' my-file.htmlBut silently does not work in sed: sed "s/\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"/aaa/g" my-file.htmlor sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
7 Replies

2. AIX

Poor Performance of server

Hi, I am new registered user here in this UNIX forums. I am a new system administrator for AIX 6.1. One of our servers performs poorly every time our application (FINACLE) runs many processes/instances. (see below for topas snapshot) I use NMON or Topas to monitor the server utilization. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
9 Replies
PTHREAD_DETACH(3)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)

NAME
pthread_detach - detach a thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_detach() function marks the thread identified by thread as detached. When a detached thread terminates, its resources are automatically released back to the system without the need for another thread to join with the terminated thread. Attempting to detach an already detached thread results in unspecified behavior. RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_detach() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Once a thread has been detached, it can't be joined with pthread_join(3) or be made joinable again. A new thread can be created in a detached state using pthread_attr_setdetachstate(3) to set the detached attribute of the attr argument of pthread_create(3). The detached attribute merely determines the behavior of the system when the thread terminates; it does not prevent the thread from being terminated if the process terminates using exit(3) (or equivalently, if the main thread returns). Either pthread_join(3) or pthread_detach() should be called for each thread that an application creates, so that system resources for the thread can be released. (But note that the resources of all threads are freed when the process terminates.) EXAMPLE
The following statement detaches the calling thread: pthread_detach(pthread_self()); SEE ALSO
pthread_attr_setdetachstate(3), pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_join(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-11-27 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)