Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories Post 30644 by auswipe on Thursday 24th of October 2002 05:00:54 PM
Old 10-24-2002
This is not Unix specific, but the concept is just the same regardless of OS.

Back in my xBase days I was working for a medical software company here in Dallas. I wrote an upgrade install batch file that would pkzip the FoxPro programs, database and back it all up and then delete all the files, re-install the upgrade and then unzip the database, recreate indexes, etc.

I tested the routine time after time and the world was a happy place until I got "The Call".

It seems that while the client had pkzip install on their machine, it wasn't in the path. The backup zip was never created, but the sub-dirs were blown away just the same.

Data was gone. No more, non-existant, poof.

Disaster recovery? Client never even heard of a backup.

The only way that I kept my job was that I spent the entire weekend on the client site manually re-entering data via our application and getting things up and running.

Luckilly for me, it was a slow site and I was able to do all the data entry in a single weekend.

Very, very painful lesson learned. When doing any thing destructive, check, double check, triple check and trust NOTHING.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp: really tired, guru help needed...

Hello all! Please help me with the following complex regexp which works in egrep: egrep '\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"' my-file.htmlBut silently does not work in sed: sed "s/\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"/aaa/g" my-file.htmlor sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
7 Replies

2. AIX

Poor Performance of server

Hi, I am new registered user here in this UNIX forums. I am a new system administrator for AIX 6.1. One of our servers performs poorly every time our application (FINACLE) runs many processes/instances. (see below for topas snapshot) I use NMON or Topas to monitor the server utilization. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
9 Replies
PTHREAD_KILL(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   PTHREAD_KILL(3)

NAME
pthread_kill - send a signal to a thread SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int pthread_kill(pthread_t thread, int sig); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_kill() function sends the signal sig to thread, a thread in the same process as the caller. The signal is asynchronously directed to thread. If sig is 0, then no signal is sent, but error checking is still performed; this can be used to check for the existence of a thread ID. RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_kill() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number, and no signal is sent. ERRORS
EINVAL An invalid signal was specified. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Signal dispositions are process-wide: if a signal handler is installed, the handler will be invoked in the thread thread, but if the dispo- sition of the signal is "stop", "continue", or "terminate", this action will affect the whole process. SEE ALSO
kill(2), sigaction(2), sigpending(2), pthread_self(3), pthread_sigmask(3), raise(3), pthreads(7), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-19 PTHREAD_KILL(3)