Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories Post 30639 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 24th of October 2002 04:27:44 PM
Old 10-24-2002
Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories

I have been toying with the idea of posting a thread asking for your dumbest mistakes so that we may all learn from each other.

"A smart man learns from his own mistakes,
A wise man learns from others' mistakes"

I think I will start us off. I haven't had too many that were really bad, but here goes. I was playing around on a box as ROOT when I was looking in a certain directory to see what scripts where there.

I was catting them to look but I inadvertently executed one of them when I deleted the cat and left only the command and hit enter by mistake. I didn't notice my handywork right away though. About 15 minutes later, people called me saying they can't login. Anyway, 3 hours later I finally figured out that when I exe that script it changes the permissionsn on your home directory to 444. Well, for me that was /. Smilie Once I fixed that everything was fine.

I had 4 hours of downtime charged to OE, operator error. BTW, this was on a production system at work! Doh!!! Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp: really tired, guru help needed...

Hello all! Please help me with the following complex regexp which works in egrep: egrep '\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"' my-file.htmlBut silently does not work in sed: sed "s/\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"/aaa/g" my-file.htmlor sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
7 Replies

2. AIX

Poor Performance of server

Hi, I am new registered user here in this UNIX forums. I am a new system administrator for AIX 6.1. One of our servers performs poorly every time our application (FINACLE) runs many processes/instances. (see below for topas snapshot) I use NMON or Topas to monitor the server utilization. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
9 Replies
PTHREAD_DETACH(3)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)

NAME
pthread_detach - detach a thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_detach() function marks the thread identified by thread as detached. When a detached thread terminates, its resources are automatically released back to the system without the need for another thread to join with the terminated thread. Attempting to detach an already detached thread results in unspecified behavior. RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_detach() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Once a thread has been detached, it can't be joined with pthread_join(3) or be made joinable again. A new thread can be created in a detached state using pthread_attr_setdetachstate(3) to set the detached attribute of the attr argument of pthread_create(3). The detached attribute merely determines the behavior of the system when the thread terminates; it does not prevent the thread from being terminated if the process terminates using exit(3) (or equivalently, if the main thread returns). Either pthread_join(3) or pthread_detach() should be called for each thread that an application creates, so that system resources for the thread can be released. (But note that the resources of all threads are freed when the process terminates.) EXAMPLE
The following statement detaches the calling thread: pthread_detach(pthread_self()); SEE ALSO
pthread_attr_setdetachstate(3), pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_join(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-11-27 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)