Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories Post 30639 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 24th of October 2002 04:27:44 PM
Old 10-24-2002
Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled Admins... War Stories

I have been toying with the idea of posting a thread asking for your dumbest mistakes so that we may all learn from each other.

"A smart man learns from his own mistakes,
A wise man learns from others' mistakes"

I think I will start us off. I haven't had too many that were really bad, but here goes. I was playing around on a box as ROOT when I was looking in a certain directory to see what scripts where there.

I was catting them to look but I inadvertently executed one of them when I deleted the cat and left only the command and hit enter by mistake. I didn't notice my handywork right away though. About 15 minutes later, people called me saying they can't login. Anyway, 3 hours later I finally figured out that when I exe that script it changes the permissionsn on your home directory to 444. Well, for me that was /. Smilie Once I fixed that everything was fine.

I had 4 hours of downtime charged to OE, operator error. BTW, this was on a production system at work! Doh!!! Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp: really tired, guru help needed...

Hello all! Please help me with the following complex regexp which works in egrep: egrep '\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"' my-file.htmlBut silently does not work in sed: sed "s/\"http:\/\/ccc\.bbb\.com\/documents\/0000\/{4}\/(+\.{3})*\"/aaa/g" my-file.htmlor sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
7 Replies

2. AIX

Poor Performance of server

Hi, I am new registered user here in this UNIX forums. I am a new system administrator for AIX 6.1. One of our servers performs poorly every time our application (FINACLE) runs many processes/instances. (see below for topas snapshot) I use NMON or Topas to monitor the server utilization. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
9 Replies
finger(1)						      General Commands Manual							 finger(1)

NAME
finger - user information lookup program SYNOPSIS
[options] user_name ... DESCRIPTION
By default, lists for each user_name on the system: o Login name, o Full given name, o Terminal write status (if write permission is denied), o Idle time, o Login time, o User's home directory and login shell, o Any plan the user has placed in file in their home directory, o Project on which they are working from the file also in the home directory, o office location and phone number (if known), o last time the user received the mail, and last time the user read the mail. Idle time is in minutes if listed as a single integer, hours and minutes if a is present, or days and hours if a is present. Account names as well as first and last names of users are accepted. can also be used to list users on a remote machine. The format for user_name is user_name@host. If user_name is not specified, the remote system (HP-UX or non-HP-UX) uses its default standard format for listing user information. Options recognizes the following options: Suppress printing the user's home directory and shell. Suppress printing the header that is normally printed in a short-format printout. Suppress printing the file in a long-format printout. Force ``idle'' output format. Similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, login time, and idle time are printed. Force long output format. Match arguments only on user name. Suppress printing of the files Force quick output format. Similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, and login time are printed. Print the user's host name. Force short output format. Suppress printing the full name in a short-format printout. WARNINGS
Only the first line of the file is printed. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
who file last login file for users names, offices, ... plans projects mail directory SEE ALSO
chfn(1), who(1), utmpd(1M). finger(1)