Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About Ping
Special Forums IP Networking About Ping Post 30597 by Perderabo on Thursday 24th of October 2002 09:27:35 AM
Old 10-24-2002
I see from your other question that you are running HP-UX. Is the source quench coming from an HP-UX 11.0 box? 11.0 has some problem reqarding source quenches and you need to install the latest patches.

A "source quench" is an ICMP message that is supposed to come from a router that has been overloaded. It's not really used much and anyway a host was not supposed to send them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping

Hi there hope list can help I'm looking for a command that does the following lets say i ping a server 00.00.000.00 and this server is up and running how do i get the ping command to return a UP or a Down meaning if the command is true do this if the command is False do this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemex
2 Replies

2. AIX

ping

We can ping out but the return never comes back even to localhost ping localhost PING loopback: (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms it just sits there.... any ideas, any files to check (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping

Hi , I have one system installed on Linux Red Hat 3.0. I have ip of system 3.156.168.*** and i want to ping some port that is on this IP which command i can do this? sam70 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam70
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

can't ping by ip

hi, I m trying to ping ip on the network . The machine is started but i can't access and can't ping it .. But when i restarts that machine that works fine..... can anybody have an idea about this problem ?? if then reply .. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahir23
2 Replies

5. Linux

Not able to ping

Hi All, Need your help one more time. I am trying to ping a linux machine which is not responding to ping. However traceroute can reach the machine and I can log in to it by ssh. I have checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all it is already set as "0". It is not happening in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Can't Ping

I have an old MP-Ras Unix system. I have setup netowkring but am unable to ping any local network pcs or the default gateway. If i use the arp -a command I receive the correct mac address for all connected pcs but I cannot ping anything except the local address. Any help would be appreciative. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

PING

I am unable to ping my remote server.My server is unable to ping the same. both are able to ping the gateway. both the ip's are on same network.i use a proxy tunnel on my remote server.Help if any clues. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oslbhavana
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
RDISC(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils						  RDISC(8)

NAME
rdisc - network router discovery daemon SYNOPSIS
rdisc [ -abdfstvV] [ send_address] [ receive_address] DESCRIPTION
rdisc implements client side of the ICMP router discover protocol. rdisc is invoked at boot time to populate the network routing tables with default routes. rdisc listens on the ALL_HOSTS (224.0.0.1) multicast address (or receive_address provided it is given) for ROUTER_ADVERTISE messages from routers. The received messages are handled by first ignoring those listed router addresses with which the host does not share a network. Among the remaining addresses the ones with the highest preference are selected as default routers and a default route is entered in the kernel routing table for each one of them. Optionally, rdisc can avoid waiting for routers to announce themselves by sending out a few ROUTER_SOLICITATION messages to the ALL_ROUTERS (224.0.0.2) multicast address (or send_address provided it is given) when it is started. A timer is associated with each router address and the address will no longer be considered for inclusion in the the routing tables if the timer expires before a new advertise message is received from the router. The address will also be excluded from consideration if the host receives an advertise message with the preference being maximally negative. Server side of router discovery protocol is supported by Cisco IOS and by any more or less complete UNIX routing daemon, f.e gated. OPTIONS
-a Accept all routers independently of the preference they have in their advertise messages. Normally rdisc only accepts (and enters in the kernel routing tables) the router or routers with the highest preference. -b Opposite to -a, i.e. install only router with the best preference value. It is default behaviour. -d Send debugging messages to syslog. -f Run rdisc forever even if no routers are found. Normally rdisc gives up if it has not received any advertise message after after soliciting three times, in which case it exits with a non-zero exit code. If -f is not specified in the first form then -s must be specified. -s Send three solicitation messages initially to quickly discover the routers when the system is booted. When -s is specified rdisc exits with a non-zero exit code if it can not find any routers. This can be overridden with the -f option. -t Test mode. Do not go to background. -v Be verbose i.e. send lots of debugging messages to syslog. -V Print version and exit. HISTORY
This program was developed by Sun Microsystems (see copyright notice in source file). It was ported to Linux by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. SEE ALSO
icmp(7), inet(7), ping(8). REFERENCES
Deering, S.E.,ed "ICMP Router Discovery Messages", RFC1256, Network Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif., September 1991. SECURITY
rdisc requires CAP_NET_RAWIO to listen and send ICMP messages and capability CAP_NET_ADMIN to update routing tables. AVAILABILITY
rdisc is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form for anonymous ftp ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-rout- ing/iputils-current.tar.gz. iputils-020927 27 September 2002 RDISC(8)