Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions mapping FTP site as local drive Post 30569 by auswipe on Thursday 24th of October 2002 12:56:40 AM
Old 10-24-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by cerberusofhate
First of all, I was not even expecting a correct answer, so its not that im pist off because no one was able to give it to me, i got pist off because I specified that SMB was not a solution, and I got a SMB answer.
Wah.

I'll be happy to refund your money.

For some reason, I thought you wanted to share the Win98 via the FTP server.

Quote:
God only knows how many abbreviations of FTP I could think of. I may just have to live (or rather, the user will have to live) with having a shortcut instead of a mapped drive, or just install win2k (which supports FTP-mapped drives). I've heard of it being done, but like so many MS-related stuff, it takes a win32 kernel hacker to find out how to do it, which I definetely am not.
I found a product on-line that does exactly what you are wanting to do, although it $29.95 per copy. I loaded a demo copy on my box and sure enough, it worked. Never thought of that before.

But my question is this: If the network is so secure, why use a protocol that sends the password in clear text? I assume that you are using a dummy account that is limited to only the FTP sub-dir only.

Have a good 'un.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

percentage sign in a drive mapping ?

Good day all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the percentage sign is and does in mapping a drive to a server ? I provided the example for you. (ie \\server1\share%simon) thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenSolaris 2008.11 Hard Drive Device mapping

Dear Solaris Experts, I am a bit confused about OpenSolaris Hard Drive device mapping. On RedHat Linux based system, an IDE on first channel master drive is mapped as /dev/hda, first channel slave drive will be /dev/hdb, etc. For (Open)Solaris systems I found it as /dev/rdsk/c3d0p0 : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a text file in Local Drive

Hi All, I am new in Shell Script. I have a ksh script running in the Unix Server and basically in that script I need to create a text file but the text file has to be generated in the local PC (the user computer such as in C:\ drive). I have no idea on how to do it and I need it pretty urgently.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yramli
2 Replies

4. Web Development

Creating a blog site on a local computer

Hello! I would like to create a blog website on a web domain of mine. The blog will be used for publishing economics-lated articles. I tried to use a few open source packages for blog creation (WorldPress, b2evolution, Movable type) which I wanted to test on a local computer before arranging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: degoor
5 Replies

5. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

drive mapping

What is the eqiuvalent of /dev/dsk/rdsk in linux vs Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
1 Replies

8. Debian

How to install package from local hard drive?

Hello, I want to install a .deb package which I already have on the hard drive. I have tried to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the file but apt-get says it can't find it. The package is not in the Debian repository. Debian 6.0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mapping drive

please forgive me. i know this is unix forum. CIFS can map to shared windows folder. i just wonder if windows can map to unix shared folder. if yes, please enlight me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
5 Replies
Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::FTP - Simple FTP authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::FTP; my $ftp = Authen::Simple::FTP->new( host => 'ftp.company.com' ); if ( $ftp->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::FTP PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleFTP_host "ftp.company.com" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::FTP AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a FTP service. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * host Connection host, can be a hostname or IP number. Defaults to "localhost". host => 'ftp.company.com' host => '10.0.0.1' * port Connection port, default to 21. port => 21 * timeout Connection timeout, defaults to 60. timeout => 60 * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::FTP') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Net::FTP. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)