Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using tail -f
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using tail -f Post 30515 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 23rd of October 2002 10:49:13 AM
Old 10-23-2002
daemon process gives real time

It seems that you would be better served to create a daemon to control this process.

You could tailor it to notify you when the string you want appears and email or beep you. You should have a template of one on your system or you can copy from a simple one in a directory similar to /sbin/init.d/template.

cp template myscript

You will need to add a kill and start link in your rc directories for it to startup a boot time.

ln -s myscript /sbin/rc3.d/S400myscript
ln -s myscript /sbin/rc1.d/K400myscript

Hope this helps! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail Question

Hi All, I notice that the below tail cannot be done. How can i modify this code such that i can always "tail" a variable number of lines ? set num = 100 cat filename|grep xxx| tail -$num (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail | grep

The program that is running on my machine generates log files. I want to be able to know the number of lines that contain "FT" in the most recent log file. I wrote the following, but it always returns zero. And I know the count is not zero. Any ideas? ls -rt *.log | tail -n 1 | grep -c FT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdilucca
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tail command

Hi All, My query seems to be silly but Iam unable to find where the exact problem lies. I have a script to unzip set of files here is the script #!/bin/ksh Count=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile | wc -l` while do Filename=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile |tail -$Count | head -1` cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with a tail and a grep

I need to tail -f a file so I can monitor it as it is being written to. However, there is a lot of garbage in the file that I don't care about. So normally I would just pipe and grep for the string that is important to me. However, in this case, there are two things I need to grep for. I can't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Silver11
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f and tr in a script

I have file that is being constantly written to example: file.txt ABC EBC ZZZ ABC I am trying to create a simple script that will tail this file and at the same time using tr to change B to F on lines containing 'B'. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. #!/bin/bash tail -f... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail for 15 mins

Hi, I want to write a script which will tail a particular file for 15 mins and then sleep for 10 mins and again tail for 15 mins. This cycle will go on for a limited period of time. How can i ensure that tail command will run for 15 mins before calling sleep command Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
lsmsad(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lsmsad(8)

NAME
lsmsad - Starts the Storage Administrator (SA) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lsmsad DESCRIPTION
The SA daemon, lsmsad, is a process required by lsmsa, the SA graphical user interface (GUI). The daemon issues commands and obtains system information on behalf of SA. The SA daemon runs on a Tru64 UNIX system on which LSM is initialized and running. The SA client runs on any machine that supports the Java Runtime Environment. The SA daemon is automatically started at boot time. Under normal conditions, the daemon does not need to be run manually. If SA does not start during the boot process, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa stop To restart SA, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa start Only one SA daemon can be running on a system at a given time. If a second SA daemon attempts to start, it will fail. RESTRICTIONS
You must be root user to run lsmsad. FILES
The script that starts lsmsad at boot time. The command log file that tracks SA tasks. The access log file that tracks login to SA. The server log file that tracks server startup information and server errors. The log maintenance shell script that saves and compresses log files. SEE ALSO
lsmsa(8), volintro(8) lsmsad(8)