Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP debate...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTP debate... Post 30389 by LivinFree on Monday 21st of October 2002 04:33:20 PM
Old 10-21-2002
bcl, do you use SMTP or IMAP for mail? If yes to either, then you're doing the same thing.

Unless of course you're one of the few clients using Secure [SMTP|IMAP]...

Also, ssh is insecure because it's got so many darn security holes...
http://www.sans.org/top20/#index
ssh is higher up than FTP, even...

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux-laptop compatibility debate

Hey guys, i use my mac laptop and i love it, but i have decided its time to break the mold and use linux, and since linux on macs suck, i need to know what kind of pc to build... I want to know what kind of motherboard, wireless cards, hard drives, laptops, video cards, and etc. people have had... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesaynaysayer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using FTP to check whether file is completely FTP... plz find the description below

Hi, We have some clients who will place huge files in to one of the remote server. And the shell script written in our local server to retrieve client files (using FTP) placed on one of the remote server of ours by clients. My question Is there any FTP command/script to check from my local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmsrao
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

4. Linux

Where are people landing on the sytemd debate?

My two primary distros are Gentoo and Debian and I'm a fan of the older more traditional init system but as we all know Debian is moving to systemd. Not sure how impartial the crowd is here but I'd like to hear people's opinions. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swathe
4 Replies
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)

NAME
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream - DBD::Gofer transport for stdio streaming SYNOPSIS
DBI->connect('dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com;dsn=dbi:...',...) or, enable by setting the DBI_AUTOPROXY environment variable: export DBI_AUTOPROXY='dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com' DESCRIPTION
Without the "url=" parameter it launches a subprocess as perl -MDBI::Gofer::Transport::stream -e run_stdio_hex and feeds requests into it and reads responses from it. But that's not very useful. With a "url=ssh:username@host.example.com" parameter it uses ssh to launch the subprocess on a remote system. That's much more useful! It gives you secure remote access to DBI databases on any system you can login to. Using ssh also gives you optional compression and many other features (see the ssh manual for how to configure that and many other options via ~/.ssh/config file). The actual command invoked is something like: ssh -xq ssh:username@host.example.com bash -c $setup $run where $run is the command shown above, and $command is . .bash_profile 2>/dev/null || . .bash_login 2>/dev/null || . .profile 2>/dev/null; exec "$@" which is trying (in a limited and fairly unportable way) to setup the environment (PATH, PERL5LIB etc) as it would be if you had logged in to that system. The ""perl"" used in the command will default to the value of $^X when not using ssh. On most systems that's the full path to the perl that's currently executing. PERSISTENCE
Currently gofer stream connections persist (remain connected) after all database handles have been disconnected. This makes later connections in the same process very fast. Currently up to 5 different gofer stream connections (based on url) can persist. If more than 5 are in the cache when a new connection is made then the cache is cleared before adding the new connection. Simple but effective. TO DO
Document go_perl attribute Automatically reconnect (within reason) if there's a transport error. Decide on default for persistent connection - on or off? limits? ttl? AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, <http://www.tim.bunce.name> LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007, Tim Bunce, Ireland. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. SEE ALSO
DBD::Gofer::Transport::Base DBD::Gofer perl v5.16.3 2013-04-04 DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)