Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Assistance to calculate number of hugepages Post 303046210 by sand1234 on Tuesday 28th of April 2020 01:34:09 AM
Old 04-28-2020
Assistance to calculate number of hugepages

Hi,

I am trying to count the number of hugepages & total usage being used by applications..

INPUT FILE
==========

Code:
[root@xxx~]# grep huge /proc/*/numa_maps 2>/dev/null
/proc/47173/numa_maps:140000000 default file=/anon_hugepage\040(deleted) huge anon=1 dirty=1 N0=1 kernelpagesize_kB=1048576
/proc/47173/numa_maps:1000000000 default file=/buffers-numa-0 huge dirty=313 N0=313 kernelpagesize_kB=2048
/proc/47173/numa_maps:1027200000 default file=/buffers-numa-1 huge dirty=313 N1=313 kernelpagesize_kB=2048
/proc/47173/numa_maps:2d00000000 default file=/anon_hugepage\040(deleted) huge anon=1 dirty=1 N1=1 kernelpagesize_kB=1048576
/proc/47173/numa_maps:4dc0200000 default file=/anon_hugepage\040(deleted) huge anon=1 dirty=1 N0=1 kernelpagesize_kB=2048
/proc/47173/numa_maps:4dc0400000 default file=/anon_hugepage\040(deleted) huge anon=1 dirty=1 N0=1 kernelpagesize_kB=2048
/proc/47173/numa_maps:4dc0600000 default file=/anon_hugepage\040(deleted) huge anon=1 dirty=1 N0=1 kernelpagesize_kB=2048
/proc/47173/numa_maps:2aaac0000000 default file=/mnt/hugepages1G/libvirt/qemu/2-instance-0000001f/qemu_back_mem._objects_ram-node0.su05tD\040(deleted) huge dirty=2 mapmax=2 N0=2 kernelpagesize_kB=1048576
/proc/488519/numa_maps:7f6e80000000 bind:0 file=/mnt/hugepages1G/libvirt/qemu/2-instance-0000001f/qemu_back_mem._objects_ram-node0.su05tD\040(deleted) huge dirty=2 mapmax=2 N0=2 kernelpagesize_kB=1048576

SCRIPT
==========

Code:
#!/bin/bash

total_num_hugepages=0

for id in $(grep huge /proc/*/numa_maps 2>/dev/null | awk -F'/' '{proc[$3]=1} END {for (i in proc) print i}'); do
        for hugepagesize in $(find /sys/devices/system/node/node[0-9]*/hugepages/ -type d -name "hugepages-*" | sed 's/.*hugepages-\([0-9]\+\).*/\1/'| sort | uniq);
        do
        ps $id;
        total_num_hugepages+=$(grep huge /proc/$id/numa_maps 2>/dev/null | grep "kernelpagesize.*=$hugepagesize" | sed 's/.*dirty=\([0-9]\+\).*/\1/')
        echo $total_num_hugepages
        done
done

Code:
[root@xxx ~]# ./hugepage_usage.sh
    PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
  47173 ?        SLl  333416:10 /usr/bin/vpp -c /etc/vpp/vpp.conf
01 1 2
  47173 ?        SLl  333416:10 /usr/bin/vpp -c /etc/vpp/vpp.conf
01 1 2313 313 1 1 1
 488519 ?        Sl    27:46 /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -name guest=instance-0000001f,debug-threads=on -S -ob
01 1 2313 313 1 1 12
 488519 ?        Sl    27:46 /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -name guest=instance-0000001f,debug-threads=on -S -ob
01 1 2313 313 1 1 12

Expected sample output
======================
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
47173 ? SLl 333416:10 /usr/bin/vpp -c /etc/vpp/vpp.conf

/usr/bin/vpp
10 hugepages x 1048576 kB = xx kB
2 hugepages x 2048 kB = xx kB
Total hugepage usage = xx kB

Please give me some pointers on how I can improve my code, and achieve the output.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the number of days left in a month

does any one have any ideas how i would go about calculating the number of days left in the month from a bash script ?. I want to do some operations on a csv file according to the result (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate number of strings in a variable

Hi all I have a variable called "variable" and is of the form variable ="AAA BBB CCC DDD" {basically it has values separated by spaces} What is the simplest way to check if "variable" has more that one value in its list? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixmat1
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Calculate Network Number in /etc/netmasks file.

Hi All, I have an issue with calculating the network number that needs to be put in /etc/netmasks file in my Sol-9 server. The IP of my server in 10.164.114.135 Default Gateway - 10.164.114.130 Netmask - 255.255.255.240 If I set "10.164.114.130 255.255.255.240" in netmask file, after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
2 Replies

4. Programming

perl - calculate the number of lines from particular files

Hi, plz see the below code. here my aim is to calculate the number of lines in unprocessedData.out if this file contains 40 lines then lastly $linenum should print 40.(except blank lines) i have tried below code but it giving me the output only one. can anyone help me how to do ? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
9 Replies

5. Web Development

Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - PHP

Is this code good for this purpose? <?php $date1 = mktime(0,0,0,01,01,1991); $date2 = mktime(0,0,0,03,22,2012); $diff = $date2 - $date1; $days = $diff / (60*60*24); echo ($days . "<br />"); ?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kovacsakos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - bash script

I wrote the day calculator also in bash. I would like to now, that is it good so? #!/bin/bash datum1=`date -d "1991/1/1" "+%s"` datum2=`date "+%s"` diff=$(($datum2-$datum1)) days=$(($diff/(60*60*24))) echo $days Thanks in advance for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kovacsakos
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the total number of weeks from a specify year?

Hi anyone can help? How to calculate total number of weeks from a specify date, for example, 01 Jan 2012. Thx! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayray2013
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to calculate the number of TPS on Solaris server?

Hi, Please help me to find how to calculate the number of TPS supported by any solaris server for example one server with below configuration . Sun Blade X6270 with two 4-core processors 2 x 300 GB internal disk drives (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojkakkar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum and calculate number in table

Hello everyone, I have some problem in calculation number using awk. input file format : S1 1 : 0.003 0.031 S2 1 : 0.020 0.095 S3 4 : 0.088 0.012 S4 2 : 0.010 0.090 S5 2 : 0.244 0.066 S6 3 : 0.249 0.751 S7 3 : 0.010 0.990 S8 3 : 0.230... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awil
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to calculate total number of cores on my servers ?

Hi, I want to get total number of cores on my all non-global zones on Solaris 10. I got two methods and both are giving different results. Below link is a script, which tells me that total cores are 8 Mandalika's scratchpad: Oracle Solaris: Show Me the CPU, vCPU, Core Counts and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
4 Replies
HUGEADM(8)						      System Manager's Manual							HUGEADM(8)

NAME
hugeadm - Configure the system huge page pools SYNOPSIS
hugeadm [options] DESCRIPTION
hugeadm displays and configures the systems huge page pools. The size of the pools is set as a minimum and maximum threshold. The minimum value is allocated up front by the kernel and guaranteed to remain as hugepages until the pool is shrunk. If a maximum is set, the system will dynamically allocate pages if applications request more hugepages than the minimum size of the pool. There is no guarantee that more pages than this minimum pool size can be allocated. The following options create mounts hugetlbfs mount points. --create-mounts This creates mount points for each supported huge page size under /var/lib/hugetlbfs. After creation they are mounts and are owned by root:root with permissions set to 770. Each mount point is named pagesize-<size in bytes>. --create-user-mounts=<user> This creates mount points for each supported huge page size under /var/lib/hugetlbfs/user/<user>. Mount point naming is the same as --create-mounts. After creation they are mounted and are owned by <user>:root with permissions set to 700. --create-group-mounts=<group> This creates mount points for each supported huge page size under /var/lib/hugetlbfs/group/<group>. Mount point naming is the same as --create-mounts. After creation they are mounted and are owned by root:<group> with permissions set to 070. --create-global-mounts This creates mount points for each supported huge page size under /var/lib/hugetlbfs/global. Mount point naming is the same as --create-mounts. After creation they are mounted and are owned by root:root with permissions set to 1777. The following options affect how mount points are created. --max-size This option is used in conjunction with --create-*-mounts. It limits the maximum amount of memory used by files within the mount point rounded up to the nearest huge page size. This can be used for example to grant different huge page quotas to individual users or groups. --max-inodes This option is used in conjunction with --create-*-mounts. It limits the number of inodes (e.g. files) that can be created on the new mount points. This limits the number of mappings that can be created on a mount point. It could be used for example to limit the number of application instances that used a mount point as long as it was known how many inodes each application instance required. The following options display information about the pools. --pool-list This displays the Minimum, Current and Maximum number of huge pages in the pool for each pagesize supported by the system. The "Min- imum" value is the size of the static pool and there will always be at least this number of hugepages in use by the system, either by applications or kept by the kernel in a reserved pool. The "Current" value is the number of hugepages currently in use, either by applications or stored on the kernels free list. The "Maximum" value is the largest number of hugepages that can be in use at any given time. --set-recommended-min_free_kbytes Fragmentation avoidance in the kernel depends on avoiding pages of different mobility types being mixed with a pageblock arena - typically the size of the default huge page size. The more mixing that occurs, the less likely the huge page pool will be able to dynamically resize. The easiest means of avoiding mixing is to increase /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes. This parameter sets min_free_kbytes to a recommended value to aid fragmentation avoidance. --set-recommended-shmmax The maximum shared memory segment size should be set to at least the size of the largest shared memory segment size you want avail- able for applications using huge pages, via /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax. Optionally, it can be set automatically to match the maximum possible size of all huge page allocations and thus the maximum possible shared memory segment size, using this switch. --set-shm-group=<gid|groupname> Users in the group specified in /proc/sys/vm/hugetlb_shm_group are granted full access to huge pages. The sysctl takes a numeric gid, but this hugeadm option can set it for you, using either a gid or group name. --page-sizes This displays every page size supported by the system and has a pool configured. --page-sizes-all This displays all page sizes supported by the system, even if no pool is available. --list-all-mounts This displays all active mount points for hugetlbfs. The following options configure the pool. --pool-pages-min=<size|DEFAULT>:[+|-]<pagecount|memsize<G|M|K>> This option sets or adjusts the Minimum number of hugepages in the pool for pagesize size. size may be specified in bytes or in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes by appending K, M, or G respectively, or as DEFAULT, which uses the system's default huge page size for size. The pool size adjustment can be specified by pagecount pages or by memsize, if postfixed with G, M, or K, for giga- bytes, megabytes, or kilobytes, respectively. If the adjustment is specified via memsize, then the pagecount will be calculated for you, based on page size size. The pool is set to pagecount pages if + or - are not specified. If + or - are specified, then the size of the pool will adjust by that amount. Note that there is no guarantee that the system can allocate the hugepages requested for the Minimum pool. The size of the pools should be checked after executing this command to ensure they were successful. --obey-numa-mempol This option requests that allocation of huge pages to the static pool with --pool-pages-min obey the NUMA memory policy of the cur- rent process. This policy can be explicitly specified using numactl or inherited from a parent process. --pool-pages-max=<size|DEFAULT>:[+|-]<pagecount|memsize<G|M|K>> This option sets or adjusts the Maximum number of hugepages. Note that while the Minimum number of pages are guaranteed to be avail- able to applications, there is not guarantee that the system can allocate the pages on demand when the number of huge pages requested by applications is between the Minimum and Maximum pool sizes. See --pool-pages-min for usage syntax. --enable-zone-movable This option enables the use of the MOVABLE zone for the allocation of hugepages. This zone is created when kernelcore= or mov- ablecore= are specified on the kernel command line but the zone is not used for the allocation of huge pages by default as the intended use for the zone may be to guarantee that memory can be off-lined and hot-removed. The kernel guarantees that the pages within this zone can be reclaimed unlike some kernel buffers for example. Unless pages are locked with mlock(), the hugepage pool can grow to at least the size of the movable zone once this option is set. Use sysctl to permanently enable the use of the MOVABLE zone for the allocation of huge pages. --disable-zone-movable This option disables the use of the MOVABLE zone for the future allocation of huge pages. Note that existing huge pages are not reclaimed from the zone. Use sysctl to permanently disable the use of the MOVABLE zone for the allocation of huge pages. --hard This option is specified with --pool-pages-min to retry allocations multiple times on failure to allocate the desired count of pages. It initially tries to resize the pool up to 5 times and continues to try if progress is being made towards the resize. --add-temp-swap<=count> This options is specified with --pool-pages-min to initialize a temporary swap file for the duration of the pool resize. When increasing the size of the pool, it can be necessary to reclaim pages so that contiguous memory is freed and this often requires swap to be successful. Swap is only created for a positive resize, and is then removed once the resize operation is completed. The default swap size is 5 huge pages, the optional argument <count> sets the swap size to <count> huge pages. --add-ramdisk-swap This option is specified with --pool-pages-min to initialize swap in memory on ram disks. When increasing the size of the pool, it can be necessary to reclaim pages so that contiguous memory is freed and this often requires swap to be successful. If there isn't enough free disk space, swap can be initialized in RAM using this option. If the size of one ramdisk is not greater than the huge page size, then swap is initialized on multiple ramdisks. Swap is only created for a positive resize, and by default is removed once the resize operation is completed. --persist This option is specified with the --add-temp-swap or --add-ramdisk-swap to make the swap space persist after the resize operation is completed. The swap spaces can later be removed manually using the swapoff command. The following options tune the transparent huge page usage --thp-always Enable transparent huge pages always --thp-madvise Enable transparent huge pages only on madvised regions --thp-never Disable transparent huge pages --thp-khugepaged-pages <pages to scan> Configure the number of pages that khugepaged should scan on each pass --thp-khugepaged-scan-sleep <milliseconds> Configure how many milliseconds khugepaged should wait between passes --thp-khugepages-alloc-sleep <milliseconds> Configure how many milliseconds khugepaged should wait after failing to allocate a huge page to throttle the next attempt. The following options affect the verbosity of libhugetlbfs. --verbose <level>, -v The default value for the verbosity level is 1 and the range of the value can be set with --verbose from 0 to 99. The higher the value, the more verbose the library will be. 0 is quiet and 3 will output much debugging information. The verbosity level is increased by one each time -v is specified. SEE ALSO
oprofile(1), pagesize(1), libhugetlbfs(7), hugectl(8), AUTHORS
libhugetlbfs was written by various people on the libhugetlbfs-devel mailing list. October 1, 2009 HUGEADM(8)