Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove file isn't working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove file isn't working Post 303046027 by RudiC on Wednesday 22nd of April 2020 01:10:20 AM
Old 04-22-2020
Those results may depend on the time that you issue the find command. man find:

Quote:
-atime n
File was last accessed n*24 hours ago. When find figures out how many 24-hour periods ago the file was last accessed, any fractional part
is ignored, so to match -atime +1, a file has to have been accessed at least two days ago.
-ctime n
File's status was last changed n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpretation of file
status change times.
-mtime n
File's data was last modified n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpretation of file
modification times.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

grep -r isn't working

Hi, I was trying to use this particular option of grep grep -r 'Search_pattern' * This command should ideally search all the occurrences of Search_pattern recursively within a directory & print it on shell prompt. But this command is not doing what is expected. It just displays nothin! ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Sendmail version ? and why -d isn't working

Hi, I am trying to figure out which version I am running of sendmail, but I am buffed. This is what I get sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null sendmail: illegal option -- d Telneting to my host: ~]$ telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why isn't this working? tsch-doit file

#! /usr/tsch foreach f (`cat contacts.list`) awk '{printf ($2 in a) ? ","$5 : (NR>1) ? RS $2 FS $5 : $2 FS $5; a} END{print e}' $f > $f_inter.map end My file: cat contacts.list is just a list of files. I get this error: doit_contacts2intermap.sh: Command not found. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

a very basic sed one-liner...that isn't working :-(

Greetings all. :) I would like to use sed to join all non-blank lines together in a particular file. I was thinking I could do this by simply replacing the terminating, new-line character on every line which is not blank, but I must be missing something in my sed line: $ sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveB-in-LV
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk isn't working

awk 'BEGIN{print '1.2449'**0.5}' awk: line 1: syntax error at or near * can someone help me troubleshoot the above command? i'm trying to do the square root of 1.2449. this command works on Red Hat, but for some reasonn isn't working on kubuntu (latest version). shell is bash. i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab - runninf a java script just isn't quite working...

hi gurus. I have a little script that runs java from a certain directory. This script runs fine when run manually but when I try to schedule it, it fails to find the script. little_script.sh.. /<directory of java>/java -classpath... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCarter
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String == isn't working in [[-test

Hi. I'm new to this forum, my English perhaps is not so good, but here is my question: In bash you can use ] for tests, and how I understand it the variable names should be expanded automatically. So this should give "yes": xx=hello $ ] && echo yes || echo no no # not giving "yes" These two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

export of a variable isn't working

Hi I want export input data ... echo "month: " read m export m=$m also export m is not working ? the month-variable should be exportet for the use in other scripts, but it is not working like this. What i'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance! IMPe (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Syslog daemon isn't working

Hi All, I've tried starting syslogd on our hp-ux 11.31 server. However, it is not getting started nor it is updating the syslog file. There is no space issue also. However, the mail.log file is approx 2GB, can that be of any issue. Please find the details below: # /sbin/init.d/syslogd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
2 Replies
find(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   find(1)

Name
       find - find files

Syntax
       find pathname-list  expression

Description
       The  command  recursively  descends the directory hierarchy for each pathname in the pathname-list (that is, one or more pathnames) seeking
       files that match a boolean expression written in the primaries given below.  In the descriptions, the argument n is used as a decimal inte-
       ger where +n means more than n, -n means less than n , and n means exactly n.

Options
       -atime n       Tests true if the file has been accessed in n days.

-cpio output   Writes current file on output in the format (5120-byte records) specified in the reference page.	The output can be either a
		      file or tape device.  If output is a tape device the B key must be used to read data from the tape.

-ctime n       Tests true if the file has been changed in n days.

-depth	      Always true; causes descent of the directory hierarchy to be done so that all entries in a directory are acted on before the
		      directory  itself (that is, postorder instead of preorder).  This can be useful when is used with to transfer files that are
		      contained in directories without write permission.

-exec command  Tests true if specified command returns a 0 on exit.  The end of the command must be punctuated by an escaped semicolon.	 A
		      command argument `{}' is replaced by the current pathname.

-group gname   Tests true if group ID matches specified group name.

-inum n	      Tests true if the file has inode number n.

-links n       Tests true if the file has n links.

-mount	      Tests true if the current file is on the same file system as the current starting pathname.

-mtime n       Tests true if the file has been modified in n days.

-name filename Tests  true  if  the  filename  argument matches the current file name.  Normal Shell argument syntax may be used if escaped
		      (watch out for `[', `?' and `*').

-newer file    Tests true if the current file has been modified more recently than the argument file.

-ok command    Executes specified command on standard output, then standard input is read and command executed only upon response y.

-perm onum     Tests true if file has specified octal number.  For further information, see If onum is prefixed by a minus sign, more  flag
		      bits (017777) become significant and the flags are compared: (flags&onum)==onum.	For further information, see

-print	      Prints current pathname.

-size n	      Tests true if the file is n blocks long (512 bytes per block).

-type c	      Tests  true  if  file is c type ( c = b, block special file: c, character special file: d, directory: f, plain file: l, sym-
		      bolic link: p, type port: s, type socket).

-user uname    Tests true if file owner is login name or numeric user ID.

The primaries may be combined using the following operators (in order of decreasing precedence):

1)  A parenthesized group of primaries and operators (parentheses are special to the Shell and must be escaped).

2)  The negation of a primary (`!' is the unary not operator).

3)  Concatenation of primaries (the and operation is implied by the juxtaposition of two primaries).

4)  Alternation of primaries (`-o' is the or operator).

Examples
       To remove all files named `a.out' or `*.o' that have not been accessed for a week:
       find / ( -name a.out -o -name '*.o' ) 
       -atime +7 -exec rm {} ;

To find all files on the root file system type:
       find / -mount -print

To write all the files on the root file system to tape:
       find / -mount -print -cpio /dev/rmt?h
       cpio -iBvt < /dev/rmt?h

To find all the mount points on the root file system type:
       find / ! -mount -print

Files
See Also
       cpio(1), sh(1), test(1), cpio(5), fs(5)