Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Problem with extract PDFs from huge files. Post 303045990 by mrAibo on Tuesday 21st of April 2020 06:09:11 AM
Old 04-21-2020
Problem with extract PDFs from huge files.

Hello Unix experts,

we have a problem Smilie
We have some binary files ~25GB. In this files are many (millions) PDF files included.
How we can extract them from such huge files? In small files I got it with the command:
Code:
awk -v FS="(%PDF-1.4|%%EOF)" '{print $2}' FILE > OUTPUTDIR

so the PDF file begins with PDF-1.? and ends with %%EOF
but it don't works on such big files. So we need another way to extract them.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from a huge file?

Hi, I have a huge file of bibliographic records in some standard format.I need a script to do some repeatable task as follows: 1. Needs to create folders as the strings starts with "item_*" from the input file 2. Create a file "contents" in each folders having "license.txt(tab... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a piece of information from a huge file

Hello All, I need some assistance to extract a piece of information from a huge file. The file is like this one : database information ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc os information cccccccccccccccccc cccccccccccccccccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcor
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a subset from a huge dataset

Hi, All I have a huge file which has 450G. Its tab-delimited format is as below x1 A 50020 1 x1 B 50021 8 x1 C 50022 9 x1 A 50023 10 x2 D 50024 5 x2 C 50025 7 x2 F 50026 8 x2 N 50027 1 : : Now, I want to extract a subset from this file. In this subset, column 1 is x10, column 2 is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running Perl Script with huge data files

Hello Everyone, I have a perl script that reads two types of data files (txt and XML). These data files are huge and large in number. I am using something like this : foreach my $t (@text) { open TEXT, $t or die "Cannot open $t for reading: $!\n"; while(my $line=<TEXT>){ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Three Difference File Huge Data Comparison Problem.

I got three different file: Part of File 1 ARTPHDFGAA . . Part of File 2 ARTGHHYESA . . Part of File 3 ARTPOLYWEA . . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pdfs in command line

Hi, I'm trying to search for a particular phrase in a large number of PDFs in a particular directory. What I've done so far only prints out the line, but I haven't been able to display in which file the phrase appears. find . -name '*.pdf' -exec pdftotext {} - \; | grep "search phrase" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Performance problem with removing duplicates in a huge file (50+ GB)

I'm trying to remove duplicate data from an input file with unsorted data which is of size >50GB and write the unique records to a new file. I'm trying and already tried out a variety of options posted in similar threads/forums. But no luck so far.. Any suggestions please ? Thanks !! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannan K
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract few content from a huge list of files

I have a huge list of files (about 300,000) which have a pattern like this. .I 1 .U 87049087 .S Am J Emerg .M Allied Health Personnel/*; Electric Countershock/*; .T Refibrillation managed by EMT-Ds: .P ARTICLE. .W Some patients converted from ventricular fibrillation to organized... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script monitor directory and subdirectories for new pdfs

I need bash script that monitor folders for new pdf files and create xml file for rss feed with newest files on the list. I have some script, but it reports errors. #!/bin/bash SYSDIR="/var/www/html/Intranet" HTTPLINK="http://TYPE.IP.ADDRESS.HERE/pdfs" FEEDTITLE="Najnoviji dokumenti na... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: markus1981
20 Replies
gpdf(1) 							   User Commands							   gpdf(1)

NAME
gpdf - view PDF documents SYNOPSIS
gpdf [gnome-std-options] [filename...] DESCRIPTION
The PDF Document Viewer application is based on xpdf. PDF Document Viewer provides viewing features such as panning, zoom in, zoom out, best fit, and fit width. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the to be . EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the PDF Document Viewer example% gpdf Example 2: Opening the Document test.pdf in PDF Document Viewer example% gpdf test.pdf ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of gpdf: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gpdf Executable for PDF Document Viewer. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-* | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
PDF Document Viewer Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Niall Power, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 1 Oct 2003 gpdf(1)